Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

65” TV Advice

Tonteldoos

We’ve been using a 55” LG (55UH603V) since 2017, and we’ve been really happy with it. So much so that it’s turned me off Samsung - because I find their colours unnatural to my eyes.

We are thinking of going a bit bigger, 65” is perfect for our room.

But the choices are insane. I don’t want to go to OLED necessarily, looking to spend R15-25k. But we would like a good TV. Mostly for use with Apple TV 4k and sometimes bluray or older Xbox One.

I’ve always liked Sony Bravia - and there are some options around. Is it still safe to buy Sony? The X85K looks good. Or the LG QNED 816.

Any suggestions or things to look out for? Or places to buy from (or not to buy from)?

I have always been a Sony fan, did not know these were still available as Sony unfortunately withdrew from SA some time back. Service might be an issue, that being the case.

That said, LG & Samsung are both solid products, I'm open to correction but Samsung would probably have superior service backup.

-F_D

Have you considered Hisense? Not immensely popular, but I find that their products are comparable at least to LG & find the picture on their large screens good, & in many cases the pricing excellent

Sony or Samsung, maybe Hisense. Never LG.

My Sony Bravia has been going strong for 14 years now, so the service aspect is (I hope) moot. The thing's remote is still using the original AAA batteries that came with the set!

Sony or Samsung, maybe Hisense. Never LG.

My Sony Bravia has been going strong for 14 years now, so the service aspect is (I hope) moot. The thing's remote is still using the original AAA batteries that came with the set!
Why no LG, I have not had any bad experiences with them?

AFAIK displays panels are made by a handful of manufacturers and the big tech companies buy from eachother, Apple used to get screens from LG and Samsung, not sure now

Why no LG, I have not had any bad experiences with them?

AFAIK displays panels are made by a handful of manufacturers and the big tech companies buy from eachother, Apple used to get screens from LG and Samsung, not sure now

My experience with LG has been awful. The set I bought (49" 4K thing) has been terrible. I hate the interface with that magic remote and most of the time the set's "smart" features either don't work or they just freeze up. I tried putting my Apple TV4K in the mix and it's even worse. The colours go completely wonky, so you have to dig into a whole lot of menu items to get them to play nicely together, only to then find that your DStv decoder uses different settings, so if you want to chop and change, good luck.

Their customer service sucks too. Mine developed an issue 6 months after the warranty expired and they wanted to charge me more than the set cost to fix it. After much fighting I got my way and they replaced the panel at the cost of a callout, but the whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for the Apple iMacs that used the LG 5K screen, they all develop serious burn in and colour fringing on the edges. Worst Apple screen experience I have ever seen.

I don't know much about Samsung TV's - my son has one and he seems happy with it, but for me the only brand I have faith in for TV's is Sony.

Sorry to hear that, I have no issues and after seeing videos on the subject my profile is set to"Film Maker Mode" which is the TV with no picture enhancements

Back