Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

A friend in St Sebastian also need to start somewhere.

Ingvar Ahlberg

So to solve that first find a suitable place to start from, an by good knowledge and experience (also called sheer luck) I found the perfect point for project start.

After disassembly, restoration of the speed control circuit, cleaning and lubrication reassembled it looks half decent, still need a better polish of the woodwork.

IMG_E2774.JPG

IMG_E2776.JPG

IMG_E2780.JPG

So now some polishing and then mounting of arm and a new libell, find the right cartridge and then off to Spain.

Ingvar

Armbase mounted

IMG_E2786.JPG

As I don´t want to drill a hole in the aluminium plate for the arm rest I need to figure out another way to solve that, some thinking to do, which makes me dizzy.

Ingvar

After some rummaging through the unsorted stashes with "things that could be of use" I found an old Mayware Formula IV arm that I stole the
arm lift/arm rest assembly and modified that to fit the Grace arm, seems to work out ok, also the anti skating mechanism fits perfectly.

IMG_E2800.JPGIMG_E2799.JPG

Ingvar

So after testing this for a while it seems like the Solid-5 and Grace 840 is a very good combination, a very good drive/power to the music, not very feedback
prone to be a non suspened chassis, the adjustable feets seems to work well, and the plinth routed out of a massive slab of 40mm high density chipboard veneered
with real wood, don´t know whick kind but probably from that kind of trees that grows in the forrest.

Tests done with a Hana SL which will not be included in the delivery as a hich output cartridge is required so that is the next question, what to use,
going for a Grado, a good AT or are there good MC high output alternatives? I have never tested a Hana HO version but there are still Denon DL-160 available
in Sweden, any other suggestions?

Ingvar

So I decided to go the well walked path, Grado, even thou I never listened to the generation 3 of the Gold I bought one, never knew Grado to make an unimprovement on a previous model so this is what will be attached to this TT/arm when traveling to Spain.

IMG_E2809.JPG

So altogether this turntable with arm and cartridge was put together for less than 6000 SEK, today around 10150 ZAR and making probably most new of the shelf alternatives at that price looking, and sound ridiculous.

Ingvar

Strange move of this thread, no items wanted here, just a little thread about fixing a TT for a friend and was never placed in the classifieds in the first place,
close threads if You don´t like them but don´t move to the totally wrong place.

Ingvar

After correcting the arm mounting distance that was wrong due to a morons (no names) inability to measure,
new original belt found this is now ready for travel to Spain.

IMG_E2847.JPG

Micro-Seiki solid 5, Grace 840 and Grado Gold adds up to a very good package for very small money.

Ingvar

Back