Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Amazon Prime Picture Quality

Timbaland

I watched a few Amazon Prime originals and. I was not happy with the picture quality despite it being UHD. It looked washed out and this was consistent across most content. I checked out Netflix to compare and Netflix picture quality was fine. Has anybody else noticed the same?

Yes, Prime's video quality is pretty up and down. Keep in mind that Prime does have a number of older titles.
I've found both Netflix, Disney+and AppleTV to have better video quality on the new releases - the latter being the best out of the bunch.

I cancelled my Prime Video subscription a while ago as I was not making use of it - I also noticed the video quality was a bit iffy and that made me wonder if my ISP was being weird or what was happening exactly.

Glad to know it's not just me and that it is an actual thing. Netflix quality is good enough for me to not complain but I do recall when I first started streaming via Netflix that I did notice a drop in quality compared to the downloaded content I was watching previously.
Whether I have since gotten use to it or whether the quality has improved I do not know.

Amazon Prime compared to Netflix and Disney, has terrible pic quality. I often have to restart the app , as the pic looks like something from the a 1990s TV.

Amazon Prime compared to Netflix and Disney, has terrible pic quality. I often have to restart the app , as the pic looks like something from the a 1990s TV.
I love the convenience of streaming but it’s so disappointing how the quality (both audio and video) is. I’m just happy to see that I’m not alone in this

I also find Amazon Prime video quality a mixed bag, the same applies to the audio.

Apple definitely the best followed by Netflix then Disney.

Streaming services are commodities, I cancel and enable them as I desire.

Reactions: HB.
"Streaming services are commodities, I cancel and enable them as I desire."

Yip. It's awesome.

I think the actual issue is infrastructure on the local front. Netflix and Disney have a substantial local presence with content caching at 1 or more peering point across South African. Amazon on the other hand... not so much, so content gets fetched from offshore sources which increases latency and decreases quality. Amazon's own network optimisation is backfiring.

Reactions: HB.
Some more thoughts...

Check that you actually getting the bandwidth you are paying for from your ISP. There are unfortunately companies out there that charge for x and provide x/2.

If at all possible, use a LAN cable from your router to your TV or streamer box. Wifi signal strength can vary greatly depending on the peak load, and where the majority of data consuming devices are located in your house.

Use CAT6 cable if possible...
What are the Advantages of a Cat6 Ethernet Cable? Compared to Cat5/5e cables, Cat6 cables have stricter performance specifications and significantly higher data transfer speeds at greater distances. They are more tightly wound than Cat5 cables, and the cable conductors and cable sheath are thicker as well.

If possible and affordable use a certified CAT 6 cable. There are a lot of rubbish knock off cables available that can't maintain performance over longer lengths.

Take the time to do speed test over Wifi and LAN, just to make sure there aren't hidden gremlins. Some ISP still throttle our connection if they detect illegal peer to peer file sharing.

Here's my WiFi Speedtest results over a 100/100mbps Cybersmart fiber line:

Screenshot_20231010_201036_Speedtest.jpg

That's with my son video conf'ing with the GF.

I think the actual issue is infrastructure on the local front. Netflix and Disney have a substantial local presence with content caching at 1 or more peering point across South African. Amazon on the other hand... not so much, so content gets fetched from offshore sources which increases latency and decreases quality. Amazon's own network optimisation is backfiring.
Definitely CD

Back