Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Another small single ended tube amp

Karel Mars

Commercial Member
Website
www.marsamps.co.za
Hi All tube lovers

I had an inquiry from someone who wanted to hear what a tube amp sounds like. I didn't have a demo unit in the house, so I offered to put something together for the listen.

I had a chassis with a mains transformer and I stole two output transformers from a protoype I built for another project. The primary impedance was 7k:8ohm with a 12% cathode feedback loop.

Checking the power supply I noted that I could get 250VDC B+ if I use a choke input filter. Superior regulation is essential when trying to make a pentode sound good. Eventually I had to insert a 2.2uF capacitor between the rectifier and the choke to reduce choke rattle.

I had some 6F6G tubes that are popular in old radios. I though I might as well use them, and if they do not sound good, I could always use 6V6G in stead. They like 250V and the choke input filter would deliver just that. With the 2.2uF fitted to get the choke quiet, the B+ went up to 285VDC, still in spec for ther 6F6G.

I wired the 12AU7 in SRPP mode, and it all souded great, but not what I wanted. I tried a 20 Henry choke in the driver supply, but no audible improvement. Then I moved the driver output from the top triode cathode to the bottom triode anode (turning the SRPP into a current sourced triode). Suddenly the bass and tops sounded right.
This is what it turned out to be:

6F6SE-12AU0007.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 16.53.32.jpeg

The speakers are such an important part of the equation when listening to single ended tube amps. And of course being relaxed and having a relatively quiet listening room. I seldom have to turn up this 5watt per channel past 50%. As I am sitting here, I am listening to Schubert Lieder. This type of music makes these small SE amps shine. The piano is warm and the voice full. I listened to Earl Klugh last night, and the well recorded fusion jazz sounded punchy and clear. Amps for people with sensitive ears.

R-8429121-1461437225-7033.jpg

Back