Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Beginner telescope

mygoggie

Administrator
I know there are a myriad of telescopes out there (OK not as many as the known galaxies) and would like to know what is a good starter telescope.

Any idea what you want to look at, moon, planets or other things like galaxies or nebulae or all the above? Also do you want to take pictures Of these things?

There are a few very good forums international with good guidance or just for looking at things and what telescopes were used to see or capture them.

Groetnis

My input would be:
Try to get a reflector scope, with a 4.5 inch mirror. I use this and it is adequate for the basics. I got a secondhand Orion for very little money, from fb marketplace.

Stay away from tripods and the like, build him a dobsonian mount, it is also a very easy woodworking project. Once you have that it is better to learn where the objects in our night skies are.

My input would be:
Try to get a reflector scope, with a 4.5 inch mirror. I use this and it is adequate for the basics. I got a secondhand Orion for very little money, from fb marketplace.

Stay away from tripods and the like, build him a dobsonian mount, it is also a very easy woodworking project. Once you have that it is better to learn where the objects in our night skies are.
Thanks @naboo . Yes, a reflector scope is the route I want to go.

Will most definitely look into building a dobsonion mount with him!

The biggest obstacle is knowing what to look for and what to look at. Don’t know your budget, bu here is a vry repectable telescope,
Celestron Starsense Explorer LT 70AZ. Takelot Makro etc stock them. The tripod is iffy at best, but the scope itself is nice, and good for a beginner. You can diy a better tripod later if it catches on.

The main thing is it includes a piece of software on your cellphone (you can check compatibility) and a mount on the scope for the cell. It is good for looking at the moon and planets and nebulae for example, most of them pretty things. Also it is ready to go out the box with minimal fuss.

I use both a refractor, like this one, and a reflector and have build my own as well, dob including grinding and shaping the mirror, lots of work and time there. Then you still dont know what ya looking at. This little scope can do a lot and last a long time. Remembering that reflectors will deteriorate with time as the air will erode that micron thin aluminium coating. The refractors lasts for ever.

Just that software alone is worth the price. Also its small and light and easy to take along to other sites and places.

SterreGroetnis

The biggest obstacle is knowing what to look for and what to look at. Don’t know your budget, bu here is a vry repectable telescope,
Celestron Starsense Explorer LT 70AZ. Takelot Makro etc stock them. The tripod is iffy at best, but the scope itself is nice, and good for a beginner. You can diy a better tripod later if it catches on.

The main thing is it includes a piece of software on your cellphone (you can check compatibility) and a mount on the scope for the cell. It is good for looking at the moon and planets and nebulae for example, most of them pretty things. Also it is ready to go out the box with minimal fuss.

I use both a refractor, like this one, and a reflector and have build my own as well, dob including grinding and shaping the mirror, lots of work and time there. Then you still dont know what ya looking at. This little scope can do a lot and last a long time. Remembering that reflectors will deteriorate with time as the air will erode that micron thin aluminium coating. The refractors lasts for ever.

Just that software alone is worth the price. Also its small and light and easy to take along to other sites and places.

SterreGroetnis
Hmmm, you have a very valid point there @Sarel.wagner - Living in Thailand will result in the reflector coating being corroded quite quickly.

NavorsingGroetnis

Back