Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Big music. The Women

I had a crush on Francoise Hardy in the 1960s. She came to South Africa in about 1967 and I went to her show at the Alhambra twice. It was that sultry Bridget Bardot French look.

Amazingly, at that time I was attending the Alliance Francais to improve my spoken French as I was doing French elementary for first year UCT. At the end of one lesson the lady tutor said we were invited to a cocktail party on the following Saturday evening as there was a distinguished French person visiting Cape Town. When she said it was Francoise Hardy, I nearly wet my pants. I don't think I slept at all that night. There must have been 300 people at the event. Anyway, I got her to sign a LP record cover. She was not very friendly in person. Typical French I thought. There is only one country in the world for them

View attachment 2063
You won't believe it but I had" Francoise Hardy sings in English" in my hands for the initial post and forgot to photograph it so left her out!

I still have that LP. Shitty South African pressing, noisy surface. The LP cover delaminated, printed by Artone

At least in those days, LPs were R3,99

I still have that LP. Shitty South African pressing, noisy surface. The LP cover delaminated, printed by Artone

At least in those days, LPs were R3,99
SA pressings of the era generally poor. Partially because of poor quality recycled vinyl and the stamping dies being over utilised.
Artone covers were terrible too. Delimitation, and sleeve seams sewperating.

Bit off the "big music" topic.

I'm a big fan of female vocalists and my favourite "genre" is female vocalists does not matter whether it is jazz, country, pop ....
I love a girl with a guitar.

In terms of vocal ability, I have always liked a bit of a raspy tone. P!nk (the pop artist) is a prime example. Her acoustic stuff really shows off her vocals.

One of the best raspy female voices around at the moment IMHO is Lauren Daigle.

Reactions: HB.
mention this topic, & my first thought is shirley bassey.
then i successfully suppress the ptsd caused by my dad's continuously repeated playing of her, ah, declamatory "music".

my next thought has to be of annie lennox..

other, perhaps lesser known artists:

Back