Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Camps Bay server room installation

Morgan Irwin

Commercial Member
While I appreciate that this is an "AV Forum" a big part of the success of modern Audio & Video systems is the infrastructure that provides internet and power to our installations.
I was fortunate enough to work closely with my client to overhaul this server room in Camps Bay, Cape Town to ensure that all of the infrastructure equipment in this server room is installed correctly.
There is a powerful network running on UniFi network and WiFi equipment within this house.
The house benefits from a large solar system with battery backup system from Tesla.
There are multiple in-ceiling speakers throughout the house.
A dedicated high quality home cinema.

I hope that you enjoy this detailed video overview of the server room installation.
If you did, please subscribe so that you can see some more interesting videos of my work like this.

Stunning work. It is on my todo list. One day. I'm running 3 networks. Home network, guess network, and an isolated vlan with my cyber security research lab. Having a setup like this will be perfect.

Stunning work. It is on my todo list. One day. I'm running 3 networks. Home network, guess network, and an isolated vlan with my cyber security research lab. Having a setup like this will be perfect.
Always good to have a guess network, especially if you have teenagers in the house.

I share my fibre network with my neighbour. I ran a Cat6 cable in a pipe. Over 45m but she gets 200 mpbs into her Apple Airport Extreme. Her daughter came to visit from the USA with her friend.

While they were there for just over 2 weeks, she used 1.2Tb of data. Heaven knows what it was. 4K movies every night I suppose?

Lovely cabling indeed.

It looks like a beautiful home. Has the homecinema room changed since much since you completed the original installation?

Thank you very much. Its such an integral part of our lives to have a high quality network. I just wish that more people understood the benefit of it.

I share my fibre network with my neighbour. I ran a Cat6 cable in a pipe. Over 45m but she gets 200 mpbs into her Apple Airport Extreme. Her daughter came to visit from the USA with her friend.

While they were there for just over 2 weeks, she used 1.2Tb of data. Heaven knows what it was. 4K movies every night I suppose?

Maybe if she was backing up photos and videos of her trip 🤔 when I travel I take both of my Fuji cameras with me and two 1Tb SSD external drives. I shoot photos and videos of my trip and back them up to the SSD's. On my UK trip last year I filled up 1Tb in 1 week. I only shot video at 1 home cinema and 1 event.
If I was staying at the same place for the duration of the trip I would have probably just uploaded the content to the internet so that my video editor could start working on the footage before my return to Cape Town.

Lovely cabling indeed.

It looks like a beautiful home. Has the homecinema room changed since much since you completed the original installation?

Nothing has changed in the home cinema 😄 it is as most people would say, an "end-game" level home cinema. There is technically only 1 upgrade that I could do at this time, the projector could be upgraded to a different Barco projector that has other benefits to the one currently installed. But other than that, there isn't any particular need to upgrade the home cinema.
Subscribe to the YouTube channel to see the video about the home cinema. I will be posting it later this week.

Back