Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

E88CC/6922 and other similar Special Quality valves

charles

When these original E88CC valves were produced it was mainly used in in receivers, telegraph, medical instruments and computer applications. It was not extensively used in audio equipment as today. Major manufacturers were for example: Siemens, Telefunken, Philips, Mullard and others.

As these valve were used mostly in an industrial environment it had excellent specifications. It was a Special Quality valve with a long life expectancy in the order of 10 000 hours, tight specifications, reliability and others. The E88CC is also a low noise double triode (refer to Siemens data manual).

There is an even higher Special Quality E88CC one, the CCa valve.

An interesting one is the E188CC that have tighter specifications than the E88CC valve. Except from being a low noise double triode is also non microphonic (refer to Siemens data manual). It was made for audio applications.

Then many years later the E88CC was used in audio applications because of its excellent specifications.

When stocks of the original E88CC/6922 became depleted, modern valve producers start producing the “E88CC” valve. It does not have the Special Qualities such as long life and other specifications of the original ones.

Today the original ones are becoming scarce and expensive.

Thanks for the insight Charles.

I have quite a few originals in my arsenal. Currently have a Siemens CCa in the VA Exclamé and 8 Cossor (1960's Mullard factory made) ECC88 in the VA Whisper.

I HAD a box of 20 brand new Mullard - sealed in original packaging - that I GAVE away some years back. The recipient was not even keen on them saying he had no use for them, my reply was neither do I, take them.

I am still crying my heart out. 😭

-F_D

Back