Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Electrostatic headphone driver. A Technical question.

ludo

Howdy folks. I have a potentially stupid question because I'm trying to build a solid state energiser.

I can see this going to the DIY subforum soon, but I post it here so the headphone gurus can see it, and hopefully comment.

Electrostatic headphones have the diaphragm biased to say 580V. Then the perforated plates on either side of the diaphragm are driven with out of phase signals of say +/-200V peaks. So when one plate pushes the diaphragm away due to more similar charge, the other pulls it closer due to more opposite charge. This I understand.

Why doesn't anyone bias the plates to +580V and -580V, and drive the diaphragm with +/- 200V peaks? Surely the electrostatic forces involved would be the same? And the single ended amp is much simpler to make.

I can think of 4 issues that make driving the diaphragm the less good idea:

1) It may just be a case of it being less unnerving to have 200V next to one's ear than having 580V there? It shouldn't be a safety issue as the high voltage biasing is done via very large resistances.

2) With +/-580V bias one has to prevent leakage at 1160V between the plates, rather than 780V at peaks between plate and diaphragm. So about 50% extra voltage. But leakage is a b*tch anyway.

3) One benefit of differential (balanced) drive on the plates is the cancellation of even harmonics. But as harmonics go those are actually the less unpleasant ones.

4) Compatibility with the wiring of the Stax headphones. One would need to rewire the unobtanium plug if using those. The diaphragms of the Pro type share a pin for bias. Not impossible but nobody likes the idea of going in there.

Seeing as I haven't even started making the headphones yet :-D are there any more reasons that make it a stupid idea to bias the plates + and - and only drive the diaphragm?

Only one issue, but it's an insurmountable one.

Conductivity (overall material resistance) would have to be reversed. Meaning; diaphragm would have to become near 0 resistance while maintaining mass equal to or less than volume of air between it and the plates, and plates would have to be in megaohms resistance. I too was hoping someone is going to make the ESL diaphragm from one atom thick nano-Al ...

Ah! Amazing how I can miss the obvious. Thanks Mike.

So bridged amps it is then. Twice the fun.

Practical-tips:
Use the same polarity as household dust (forgot which, google please) so that it repels it.
Polarise both sides of diaphragm for equal push-pull force (arguable) and higher total charge.
Limit the charge current to nano-amps so the plasma arc cannot form. No arc, no diaphragm damage.

Noted. Thanks.

Still fighting with the amp for now. They're not so easy, it seems. I'll write up my adventures if they continue working. For now the sinewaves are quite beautiful, but squares are a headache. Swinging +/- 200V edges really hammers small signal transistors. Nothing exploded so far but it looks like it will be a music only amp. Not a general purpose HV opamp.

There are many DIY energiser schematics on the interweb. Should be simple enough to understand the design logic if you can read them. Not a problem for you but for me most definitely.

Back