Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Help me find my new Speakers

malanjan

Hi All

I am looking at upgrading my current speakers in the new year. I would appreciate some input.
Currently running Bookshelfs but I am leaning towards Floor Standers but it is not a must.

Current Setup:
Dynaudio Emit M20
REL 1205 MKII
VA Exclame 150

Speakers That I have on the list at this stage.
PMC Prodigy 5
Q Acoustics 5040
Buchardt S400 mkII (Would love to hear these)
Sonus Faber Lumina III

Budget +-R40k

Also consider Sonor Audio. They pair well with VA. I run a set of Claro 6.1 on a Exclamé 150.

Upvote 0
Hi Jan, although I attempted to make a suggestion, it was probably a bit out of context; I think it would be valuable if you could give the forum a steer of what you would like to achieve with the upgrade. For me, any upgrade is best started with a clear understanding of what you think might be missing or what is bothering you with your current speakers. Do you want better low-frequency extension, i.e., thinking of a floor stander, but what would your plan be to keep or sell the sub, etc. ? Or do you want more transparency? If you don't give some steer, you might end up with a list of personal preferences from others and not getting to where you want to be. If you wish to change for the sake of change, looking for a different presentation or bored, it is also OK, but still, I would start with the need to be clear, at least in your own mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Dynaudio's that I have seem to be a bit bright for me also I am looking for something that images better and has a wider sound stage.
I will be keeping the SUB the big reason for thinking of floorstanders is that the Room is quite big 30m2 and opens up into another room.

And I am looking for some change.

Upvote 0
The Dynaudio's that I have seem to be a bit bright for me also I am looking for something that images better and has a wider sound stage.
I will be keeping the SUB the big reason for thinking of floorstanders is that the Room is quite big 30m2 and opens up into another room.

And I am looking for some change.
This is a start, thanks. I am also curious as to how reflective your room is. In my experience, Dynaudio is not bright; if anything, some people might even say mellow as their silk dome tweeters that are typically 28mm units and roll off earlier than some other speakers. I quickly looked around on the internet and found this measurement of the Emit 20s - no lift in the treble range and generally a gentle slope down.
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 15.10.10.png

A customer of mine is extremely pleased with the Dyanaudio and VA combination, but I believe he has a set of the bigger models, Heritage Specials.
It could be that the system under power starts to complain as a small midbass driver does work hard in such a design in your large room?

A good experiment would be trying a different speaker to calibrate and understand what is happening. It could be the room reflections, your amp or even your source(?) I generally prefer a speaker to sound balanced in a room and then add a sub for a lower extension rather than make the upper mids fuller sounding by adding a sub in the upper bass and lower mids because of the problems it creates in the midrange. Still, I know this is a debatable view.

Just kicking the ball around and thinking aloud....

Upvote 0
I won't say they are too bright for me might be the room might just be me having an itch that needs scratching or perhaps looking for something more high end. The emit is a great speaker don't get me wrong. I am just toying with the idea.

Upvote 0
That measurement is for the new emit 20 it seems. I have the older emit m20 just thought I would share that. The M20 was discontinued

Upvote 0
The Vivid 1.5 on offer at Ultra Sound And Vision would be top of my list at R35k for the pair. They are not bright sounding, nor are they dull - they sound like your front-end. If they sound too bright, play around with your sources and amplification (and cables, albeit that this might be an unpopular opinion). They will grow as your front-end grows, and you will be more than satisfied with their soundstaging and imaging aspects.

That said, placement is crucial. If you have an equipment rack between your speakers, try moving the speakers far forward from the front line of the equipment stands or shelves. Or use very low form-factor equipment racks. The reflections created by equipment at tweeter level will have a huge negative impact on the sound.

Upvote 0
The Vivid 1.5 on offer at Ultra Sound And Vision would be top of my list at R35k for the pair. They are not bright sounding, nor are they dull - they sound like your front-end. If they sound too bright, play around with your sources and amplification (and cables, albeit that this might be an unpopular opinion). They will grow as your front-end grows, and you will be more than satisfied with their soundstaging and imaging aspects.

That said, placement is crucial. If you have an equipment rack between your speakers, try moving the speakers far forward from the front line of the equipment stands or shelves. Or use very low form-factor equipment racks. The reflections created by equipment at tweeter level will have a huge negative impact on the sound.

Very sound advice! Pair them with your sub (or without),match the x-over perfectly, and you will surpass a good few floor-standers' performance. Everything @DeonC says, if followed, will bear fruits.

The VA Exclame 150 is the sweet spot (for me) and those Vivids will love being driven by that amp. (I drive my Vivid B1's with a 100Watts mosfet Modwright power amp / Pathos valve preamp, in a 10 x 5mtr room, without any subs, and most importantly : it energizes the whole room).

Recently, the local forum(s) has been spoilt with a good number of really decent speakers,so listening to/testing them, in your own environment is always advantageous, however sometimes it's not possible an an educated risk must be taken,......the Viviid's are most certainly one of them that is highly worthwhile ( and recommended).

Lastly, I stand corrected : Francois at Audio Exchange might have two pairs for sale, at a similar price, don't know their condition or if they are still available, check them out.

Upvote 0

i used v1.5 & exclame / predator / simply two combination for many years. the advice given here is exactly what my experience has been.

Upvote 0
i used v1.5 & exclame / predator / simply two combination for many years. the advice given here is exactly what my experience has been.
Aaah man, now you guys gave me an itch again. I have a predator and always get a funny feeling when I see the Vivid 1.5's for sale somewhere. Now I want again,.

Upvote 0
Back