Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Krell remote control faulty

Will

Hi, I have a Krell amp remote, the solid aluminium heavy type. It doesn’t work in any function so I strip it and replace the batteries, put it back together and it works for about 10 operations then stops working again, rinse and repeat but it never lasts. Does anyone know anybody (preferably in the Garden Route, but not essential) who can have a look at it.
Cheers
Will

Sounds like you may have some sort of short draining out the batteries. when removing batteries, have you tested the voltage to see if they really are drained? Drained is anything below 1.2v on a 1.5v battery

Upvote 0
Sounds like you may have some sort of short draining out the batteries. when removing batteries, have you tested the voltage to see if they really are drained? Drained is anything below 1.2v on a 1.5v battery
Sorry my post may be misleading as I checked the batteries and they seem ok, 1.5. Now it doesn’t want to work at all,

Upvote 0
Is it the one with silicon buttons? This is the usual fix for remotes:

The back of the button is coated in graphite, which makes contact with graphite pads on the circuit board when pressed. The silicon tends to "sweat" out silicon oil in time. This oil is an excellent insulator. The usual fix is to remove the silicon sheet with the buttons and wash it with dish washing soap, gently... fingers only. Clean the pads on the circuit board with isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits. Let it all dry, assemble, and see if it goes again.

While you're in there, check for cracked solder joints, especially on the infrared LED. Also check for cracked joints or corrosion on the springs that make contact with the batteries. These issues would be the more likely problem if none of the functions are working.

To see if the IR LED is lighting up at all when you press a button, use a phone camera to look at it.

I hope it helps...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input, unfortunately it has aluminium buttons that push the switches, no silicon interface, and I have looked best I could for bad soldered joints all look ok to me ? I will wait till Monday when agent opens and see what he has to offer, then if no luck I will contact one of the guys mentioned above. I am not stuck as I discovered that my Marantz surround system remote actually works the power and volume on the Krell.
cheers
Will

Upvote 0
Back