Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?

Me, Jan 1, 2018:

So this bad boy started misbehaving again - playing perfectly when set to the low-power position, but cutting out and going into protection when switched to high-power. In order to preserve the meter lights (expensive and snotty to replace), I normally run it in the 30w low-power mode which switches the lights off when running. The other day I wanted to show off the luvverly illuminated VU meters to someone and switched to high-power mode, and the lights came on displaying the true beauty of this magnificent beast. Five seconds later the amp went into protection mode. Back to low-power mode, runs perfectly. High-power mode - protection.

1698059358303.jpeg

Opened it up and took bias measurements - all was fine. Unsoldered the 10k resistor which I had fitted to the input of the protection IC and the amp worked perfectly, all measurements were still in line. Left it on for four hours or so and took measurements again. Immediately noticeable was the left channel heatsink which was running hot, not too hot to touch, but much warmer than the right channel. Measured the voltage of the Bias settings control pot that controls the quiescent collector current of the output transistors and it was running very high at 65mV (should have been 15mV), resulting in the over-heating. So it had drifted. Resetting this to 12mV seems to have cured the problem. Not sure why it ran away like that, I guess one of the biasing trannies might be going wonky but it played fine at the high-power setting for something like 30 hours without going into protection mode again.

This is a magnificent amplifier but most certainly not the easiest one to work on.

-F_D

Reactions: HB.
Me, Jan 8th, 2018:
So this has been playing for about a week now, so far so good! I did find that it takes a good 30 minutes or so for the collector currents to stabilise, apparently quite normal for this amp and it is running cool with no problems (yet!).

1698059576920.jpeg

The speakers are probably around 50 years old and all original including the crossovers. They are probably only rated at 20w or so - if! I have a pair of KEF Concertos which I was keen to try with the SE-A5 but as can be seen, space is at a premium. The B&O speakers would probably be better off standing on a pair of stands but the pointy ones I have will not do the woodwork any good at all.

-F_D

@El Sid Jan 8th, 2018:
FD - are those B&Os Beovox 2400/2600 or something else?

Me, Jan 8th, 2018:
El Sid, these are Beovox 2600, I meant to mention this but forgot. I have various B&O speakers at hand and just grabbed these because I had already fitted wire pigtails on them, the others I have all require the 2p DIN plug connectors. I am keen to test them also with the Beovox S45 speakers I got from Andre a few years ago but I need to make up a DIN lead for them first. Think this will also make a nice combo.

-F_D

@HB. Jan 8th, 2018:
@F_D- your lounge resembles my lounge, office, both spare bedrooms and the master. Not to mention "our" rather convoluted "man cave". 😁

--

@El Sid Jan 8th, 2018:

Family_Dog said:
El Sid, these are Beovox 2600, I meant to mention this but forgot. I have various B&O speakers at hand and just grabbed these because I had already fitted wire pigtails on them, the others I have all require the 2p DIN plug connectors. I am keen to test them also with the Beovox S45 speakers I got from Andre a few years ago but I need to make up a DIN lead for them first. Think this will also make a nice combo.

-F_D
Ok then make sure you use the 30W mode when driving those! 😄

---

Me, Jan 8th, 2018:
HBAutomation said:
@F_D- your lounge resembles my lounge, office, both spare bedrooms and the master. Not to mention "our" rather convoluted "man cave". 🤦

Yep. It's a crying shame that Architects have no clue on designing suitable lounges for us Vintage Audio lovers, there should be little nooks and crannies everywhere for us in which we can mount equipment. I have five systems running in that lounge, three in the other lounge, and we'll leave the HT room out of it - all the excess equipment is lovingly packed there.

I need a place like Nkandla, heard it may be on the market soon as the current owner might relocate to Dubai.

-F_D

---

Me, Jan 8th, 2018:
El Sid said:
Ok then make sure you use the 30W mode when driving those! ;D
I do, but more to preserve the meter lamps than protect the speakers ;)

Fortunately 2-3 watts makes quite a good sound, no need to drive the amp more than this.

-F_D

@HB. Jan 8th, 2018:
He he he...

Me, July 12th 2018:

Not quite vintage, but suppose semi-vintage, definitely pre-HDMI days. Posting this here in case I forget where I originally linked it from.

1698664466634.jpeg

The SF Concertos are being driven by a SONY DA-5000ES amplifier on the left equipment stand, I previously drove them with a Technics SE-A5 which can be seen middle row just below the Sony, and also a Denon AVR. In the centre is the SF SW but I have not yet unwrapped it, no need to.

On the right rack is a Sony selection, comprising a Sony TA-N77ES Amplifier with associated tuner & pre-amp. This is connected to MA Bronze BX6 speakers which are just out of the picture on either side. Currently having to make room for MA Silver 8 which will probably be driven by the SE-A5 or maybe one of the Denons.

-F_D

Me, Jan 6th, 2019:

I noted that many of the postimg images had also disappeared, so spent the last couple of hours fixing this again! Getting tiresome, first Photobucket problems, then disappearing images from postimg, I am now using a combination of both to load pics.

I was pretty sure that I had posted the Sony ES stuff but probably missed the post, so here are some pics of the equipment.

1698664942585.jpeg

1698664963231.jpeg

1698664994054.jpeg

I have two sets of these, the one shown above is coup[led to MA BX6 speakers, the other set is coupled to PSB floorstanders.

1698665018406.jpeg

I need to update this thread, but it will take time :)

-F_D

Reactions: HB.
Me, Jan 7th, 2019:

The Sony TA-N77-ES combo purchase included these ARD speakers, locally built in East London (?) in very attractive cabinets:

Front view:
1698665269281.jpeg

Side view:
1698665309076.jpeg

Cross-over setting selector:
1698665372291.jpeg

I'm not using these at the moment, as far as I remember the main speakers require attention. They do produce sound of sorts but there is a fault, whether cross-over or speakers I cannot recall.

-F_D

@Chingy, Jan 9th, 2019:
Family_Dog said:
I have two sets of these, the one shown above is coup[led to MA BX6 speakers, the other set is coupled to PSB floorstanders.

those look nice, happy you still playing them sometime
Craig

---

Me, Jan 9th, 2019:
Yep - you should recognise that setup ;)

The ARD speakers in the previous post have gone to Johnnie, the speakers will require new surrounds though. I really hate foam surrounds, they're a built-in time bomb just ticking away.

-F_D

Back