Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

New adventures in record cleaning

Agaton Sax

When most abandoned vinyl records in the 80s I soldiered on, never leaving the medium. I never liked it much and found turntables ugly, records unwieldy and alien but digital, especially early digital was really not for my ears and tastes.

But LP records were noisy and static. Early band aids including a Technics compound and Philips anti-static gun. They were mostly like modern plasters. That is useless. I got my first record cleaner, a manual Nitty Gritty, in the 90s. I very quickly determined that I hated high alcohol content solutions as they sounded harsh and accentuated the hated clicks and pops. The Nitty was replaced by the motor-driven 1.5i and then replaced by a Dr Watson, only to be resurrected later, For fluid a whole plethora of homebrews followed. Considering that I once, in Chemistry 1, managed to concoct a lava-like material that set the lab alight I am maybe not the best person for such self-brews.

Nevertheless, I persisted and ended up with a disastrous run of L' Art Du Son cleaner. Ruinously expensive, this stuff sounded great in the short term but over time muddled and muffled, leaving a residue of sludge in the grooves. Given my total lack of prowess in Chemistry, this may be more operator-induced than the product per se.

I found the Mo-Fi cleaners to be best but the lack of surfactant was a pain as the stuff would pool on a record. Static remained a problem and the ruinously expensive Furutec de Stat did every good job. A $5 plasma lighter did an equally good job.

However, being exposed to ultrasonic cleaners in my day job led to a light bulb when these became available for vinyl. I baulked at the prices and adapted, with the selfless help of a now much-maligned fellow traveller to convert a medical US bath to an LP-friendly rotisserie. This was in 2019. A medical enzyme, surfactant, and US-friendly solution worked well. Too well? I quickly found that records still needed to be vacuumed. The brilliant Watson could not handle a wet on both sides record and the Nitty reappeared. Still, this stuff had to be removed more, so the vacuum with the Nitty was followed by a manual bathing in distilled water and a vacuum with the Watson. Effective yes and sounding WOW. Previously thought unplayable records became stars.

But the Static! Yew, it was bad. The Furutech and/or lighter were only effective for a short period, and by song 2 static was back. $ 1500 for a Japanese hovering de-statter seemed a trifle dear. Amazon to the rescue. A Chinese-made desk de stat, a microphone stand and a bit of fiddling gave excellent results at R 2000. The static problem is permanently solved. The record player is in a separate room from the listening room so the Hovercraft-like noise is not an issue.

But I listened to fewer and fewer records. Cleaning records now was a lot of work and took forever. I am lazzzy.

So entered Ben with an announcement that he is bringing in the Hummin Guru. It also dried a record after cleaning. So my lazzzy eyes flickered. I won't be as good as my laborious process but.... It arrived. Compact and it still makes noise (less) and takes time (less) but it is good for lazy listening? Wrong! In many ways, it is better. Most new or my own LPs are relatively clean. They don't need enzymatic and other stuff. But just distilled water in the HummingGuru and wow. On previously washed records the sound becomes shatteringly good. Static is less. That suction thing I so believed in. Is that the culprit?

Whatever. With the permanent anti-static fan and the Hummin Guru vinyl has now surpassed digital again in my system. It is a very much quieter surface and the combination of the 2 Ultrasonic cleaners can make most records into stars. At this moment the suction cleaners are not necessary. I now believe that these cause more problems than I realised.

I bought the HunninGuru out of laziness but now marvel more at the unexpected sonic advances it brings

Last edited:
My cleaning regime:

1st step - run through Spin Clean with distilled water + Spin Clean liquid. (good for washing off loose particles such as dust and fibres).

2 - Place in drying rack.

3 - before disc is fully dry place flat on a rubber platter mat and wash with liquids* using a felt/velvet type brush (these brushes have very fine hairs).

4 - after both sides washed run it again through the Spin Clean and back to the drying rack (this step is to wash off most of the cleaning liquid).

5 - before disc is fully dry wash and vacuum on MOTH machine with distilled water only. (this is not really a cleaning step but rather to rid the disc of residue from previous steps)

*I use 2 liquids at the same time, the one is a 10% alcohol/water/Ilfotol mix, the other is Pro-Ject's own liquid called "Wash-It".

This process works, however the other day I noticed fatty finger marks that was not completely removed but rather smeared suggesting that the cleaning liquids are perhaps not doing a good job. I was thinking of getting some L' Art Du Son liquid but from your experience perhaps not the best solution either.

The ant-static gun does not work at all.

My cleaning regime:

1st step - run through Spin Clean with distilled water + Spin Clean liquid. (good for washing off loose particles such as dust and fibres).

2 - Place in drying rack.

3 - before disc is fully dry place flat on a rubber platter mat and wash with liquids* using a felt/velvet type brush (these brushes have very fine hairs).

4 - after both sides washed run it again through the Spin Clean and back to the drying rack (this step is to wash off most of the cleaning liquid).

5 - before disc is fully dry wash and vacuum on MOTH machine with distilled water only. (this is not really a cleaning step but rather to rid the disc of residue from previous steps)

*I use 2 liquids at the same time, the one is a 10% alcohol/water/Ilfotol mix, the other is Pro-Ject's own liquid called "Wash-It".

This process works, however the other day I noticed fatty finger marks that was not completely removed but rather smeared suggesting that the cleaning liquids are perhaps not doing a good job. I was thinking of getting some L' Art Du Son liquid but from your experience perhaps not the best solution either.

The ant-static gun does not work at all.
There is a technique necessary to ensure the anti-static gun does work correctly. The trigger must be pulled and released v e r y slowly. If you hear any clicks from the trigger mechanism you've released too quickly.
A much better option to remove static is a plasma arc firelighter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 05.11.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 05.11.09.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 8
20240108_171434.jpg
Giving this a try today
Early days but very impressed
Wow!!!
Just distilled water, and then the zerostat (only cause I have one) - dunno if that made a difference
May finally retire my VPI now...

Back