Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

New TV Suggestions

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So I have been itching for a new TV for a while as my current one is a bit small and quite old (I think I bought it in 2014).
So now the decision of which TV to go for - I am currently eyeing the Hisense U8H (mini LED), I know it differs to the version they get in the US but it still seems like a decent and well priced TV.

I do not watch sports and I do not use my TV for gaming. I have a media PC which is connected to my TV and I stream and watch all content via my Media PC.
Obviously the built in speakers mean nothing to me - I think I have used the built in speakers on my current TV twice and that was while moving before I got my proper speakers setup.

So main considerations for me is image quality, I quite like the fact that the Hisense has the Cinema mode which is meant to produce colours more or less as the film makers wanted them to be displayed. I also like the fact that it has the HDR10+ Adaptive feature and will adjust the brightness based on the lighting conditions in the room.

In terms of size, I'll settle for a 55" but would really like the 65" and current pricing which I have found is as follows:
55" = R12 999 (Takealot, although I see it was once R9999 at Takealot)
65" = R14 999 (Makro, currently on special)

I do not want to spend more than R15k and am thinking it may be worth waiting to see if there will be a Black Friday special.

So any other TV's you guys can suggest I look at and consider or based on my needs / wants, it is unlikely I will find something better than this Hisense?

If I was shopping for an amazingly good 55-inch TV now, the LG OLED range would still be top of my list. Even their entry-level models are excellent.

I'm of the opinion the microled is still in its infancy and buying one now is quite possibly living on the cutting edge!

I have a 65" Samsung QLED, and every time we watch a movie in low light conditions, I wish I had an OLED screen! Backlight bloom is a thing!

I recently got a Hisense 70" A6KAU. Very satisfied with it and if available there should be well inside your budget.

I would go LG or Samsung, not really into TVs but the Samsung insurance replacement is great (dumb TV but fullyHD picture)

Should add this morning it asked whether it could optimize the picture as I was leaving for work and I wasn't sure it would go bossies I declined as the housekeeper was coming in and I didn't want to disturb 'Generations'

I would also love an oled, but 65 inch I think would be outside of your budget, even on black Friday.

Samsung also has oled now... More expensive and I think LG will be better for your use case, unless you are often watching off-centre (I am guessing audio enthusiasts avoid that like the plague).

Personally, if it shows pictures, looks OK to me and isn't massive, I have no interest if it is anything other than a TV. The plasma one in my bedroom is still working well at 15 years old!

OLED is great but the cost is an issue and I believe peak brightness is still an issue and in my lounge there is a window behind the ouch and even with the blinds down it creates a reflection on the TV if watching during the day and this makes watching movies or series with dark scenes a challenge during the day.

I am also a bit concerned about burn in on an OLED TV and there have been situations where I was glad I did not have an OLED TV as it may not have ended well.

Eyeing the HiSense U7K as well - the 2023 MiniLED range from Hisense, the 7 series but better than the U8H it seems and more local dimming zones as well.

OLED is great and awesome but pricey still from what I have seen - wait and see what I can find and at what price.

My personal experience with LG television products has been bleak, to say the least. The two 5K iMacs I tried that both had LG panels in them were terrible. I'd buy any other product than an LG if I was looking right now.

The newish Samsung 65" OLED 4K vs the 65" 8K QLED. The 4k OLED is way way better. That colour depth and general stability of motion in moving images just works so well.
The 8K is a bit of a let down quite honestly. Even with Samsung's 8K Demo playing on it, it is nauseating. Nope. The Neo QLED tech needs much more refinement and I would guess it is still at least 2-3 years away from being there in literal flying colours. It is likely the way all TVs are going, QLED 3 layer miniled. Likely have more layers in future but we are not there yet.

Back