Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Pass zero, go straight to 100.

Agaton Sax

"You build the cars, I'll sell them. We'll call it Rolls Royce." Henry Rolls to Charles Royce, nineteen voetsek.

Nelson Pass was born in 1951. He received a B in Physics in 1974. He then joined Oscar Heil's ESS where he did not design any amps but learned a lot from those that did. He and a friend Rene Besne then formed Treshold in 1974. They then ....

Hang on, wait a minute. Let us just digest this. 1. Pass was 23 when he did this! At 23, I was figuring out how to build a pea shooter to get the attention of the girl in the first row. Hang on a minute more: "Schalk nou moet jy mooi luister hoor!" Pass was not an engineer, but a physics major. Dan Dagostino is not an engineer. He was the West Coast Rep for Dayton Wright and learned his craft as a tech in the Marines, Army or Navy. William Zane Johnson of Audio Research was not an engineer and neither was Conrad or Johnson. This is because Schalk was once miserable because 2 forum members lambasted him for not being an engineer.

Ooh boy, I am going to be unpopular: Engineers can design audio circuitry. But engineers are taught from day 0 to follow rules. Thank goodness, otherwise, the world would be in deep trouble. You only advance the art by not following rules, by bending them. One of the most brilliant surgeons I know always starts running with just the heading of an article and running with the idea. Like a rival once said " His reference in medicine is the Woman's Value" A free magazine once handed out at supermarkets.

Anyway, Besne and Pass formed Threshold. Pass did the circuit design and Besne did the styling. And what amps they were! I frequently say Krell broke open the non-US world for monster amps but it was Threshold. The high powered beautiful designs that stood the test of time. I recently walked into Leo Bischof's beautiful Esoteric Audio emporium. My eyes popped at what he had there, but sitting on the floor was a stunning old Threshold combo. Even after all these years and with all the high-end around they stood out. I only ever owned one Threshold Stasis power amp. It drove the bass panels of Magnepan Tympanis with Audio Research valves higher up. But The ARC did what the ARCs of the era did: It blew up-spectacularly. So for a while, the Threshold went full range. It was not what I wanted but now, 35 years later, I have never heard such an open sound, such fall through purity. But my cj Premier pre-amp blew that Treshhold that it would never work again. The memory lingers.

Photo from carousel.sg

threshold_s1000_monoblocks_1628263343_c0281d9b_progressive

I may be lying now because I am old and it is long ago: Threshold was sold to the same idiots that killed the first generation PS Audio. They fired Besne. And this is why Pass is in my book is a god. He, and his wife, left Threshold, the company they founded, because his friend was fired. That you cannot buy or become. The loyalty of friendship.

Pass, with Besne formed Pass Labs and later partner, Joe Summat (who was with Krell in the interim) joined. The rest, as they say, is history. "I'll design the amps and you style them".

Last edited:
Reminds me of an engineer at my first job as a junior software developer. He was my boss and a professor and one day he came to me and proceeded to tell me why Microsoft Office is so bad. It boiled down to the fact that it was not built by engineers and that if engineers built it it would have been less than 500kb in size, 10 times as fast, and much more logical to use.
All of that might have been true but would anyone have bought it?
He had very grandiose ideas and had even tried to take Microsoft to court because he was convinced they stole the idea for Ms Project from him.

Well Mark Levinson is no engineer, holds a PhD as far as i know, Joseph Grado was an opera singer.

John Iverson vas/is an engineer but he did not follow the rules/book.

A couple of his audio designs were quite scary so that makes one wonder what he designed for JAN and the black op´s squad?

And of course why he dissapeared and where he went, six feet under or other parts of the world?

Ingvar

Well, I am by training an engineer, feel more comfortable as a shit engineer (that's my current research focus), may or may not be recognized as such by ECSA (much to my amusement), and once owned a Pass Labs pre-amp (absolutely great except the hum from the power supply)

"You build the cars, I'll sell them. We'll call it Rolls Royce." Henry Rolls to Charles Royce, nineteen voetsek.

Nelson Pass was born in 1951. He received a B in Physics in 1974. He then joined Oscar Heil's ESS where he did not design any amps but learned a lot from those that did. He and a friend Rene Besne then formed Treshold in 1974. They then ....

Hang on, wait a minute. Let us just digest this. 1. Pass was 23 when he did this! At 23, I was figuring out how to build a pea shooter to get the attention of the girl in the first row. Hang on a minute more: "Schalk nou moet jy mooi luister hoor!" Pass was not an engineer, but a physics major. Dan Dagostino is not an engineer. He was the West Coast Rep for Dayton Wright and learned his craft as a tech in the Marines, Army or Navy. William Zane Johnson of Audio Research was not an engineer and neither was Conrad or Johnson. This is because Schalk was once miserable because 2 forum members lambasted him for not being an engineer.

Ooh boy, I am going to be unpopular: Engineers can design audio circuitry. But engineers are taught from day 0 to follow rules. Thank goodness, otherwise, the world would be in deep trouble. You only advance the art by not following rules, by bending them. One of the most brilliant surgeons I know always starts running with just the heading of an article and running with the idea. Like a rival once said " His reference in medicine is the Woman's Value" A free magazine once handed out at supermarkets.

Anyway, Besne and Pass formed Threshold. Pass did the circuit design and Besne did the styling. And what amps they were! I frequently say Krell broke open the non-US world for monster amps but it was Threshold. The high powered beautiful designs that stood the test of time. I recently walked into Leo Bischof's beautiful Esoteric Audio emporium. My eyes popped at what he had there, but sitting on the floor was a stunning old Threshold combo. Even after all these years and with all the high-end around they stood out. I only ever owned one Threshold Stasis power amp. It drove the bass panels of Magnepan Tympanis with Audio Research valves higher up. But The ARC did what the ARCs of the era did: It blew up-spectacularly. So for a while, the Threshold went full range. It was not what I wanted but now, 35 years later, I have never heard such an open sound, such fall through purity. But my cj Premier pre-amp blew that Treshhold that it would never work again. The memory lingers.

Photo from carousel.sg

I may be lying now because I am old and it is long ago: Threshold was sold to the same idiots that killed the first generation PS Audio. They fired Besne. And this is why Pass is in my book is a god. He, and his wife, left Threshold, the company they founded, because his friend was fired. That you cannot buy or become. The loyalty of friendship.

Pass, with Besne formed Pass Labs and later partner, Joe Summat (who was with Krell ihttps://www.avtalk.co.za/whats-new/n the interim) joined. The rest, as they say, is history. "I'll design the amps and you style them".
D

Very many new innovations are brought about by people outside the discipline. Someone once said, especially in engineering, that because they all get the same ( similar ) training, thinking otherwise is difficult because of the training.

Schalk, nothing to fear nor worry about what these people may think or say. Product speaks volumes!

DwarsGroetnis

I suppose it is one of life's chewy sweets. I have 2 children. One is not bad in music. She elected to have a few classes, never played in competitions and, although she has left home, on visits here she will spend hours in front of the piano. The other child has a real talent. She did the classes and excelled, despite never practicing. She took music as a subject and knows a lot about it, even considered a career in it (thank goodness she did not!). I do not think she touched a piano since leaving school.

Something is wrong with formal education. In all fields. Somewhere in the process of learning more, we kill the passion. The saying goes; " those who can do, those who can't teach and those who are totally useless at it become critics." But that is not fair. Every day I see those with a craving to teach, those who give up a life's dream to teach the ungrateful masses. Astonishing, amongst those I see entire families, who for k@k pay, under even k@kker conditions not only give their lives but their entire dynasties to teach. The mother is a teacher, the father is a teacher, all their kids are teachers and their grandkids want only to be teachers. What is the answer?

Above, I spoke of someone who took only the barest of info and ran with it. He is brilliant and got brilliant results. Said his mentor, his father figure, with a sigh" He has a remarkable gift to get himself in trouble. He has an even more remarkable gift to get himself out of trouble." His arch-enemy was totally different. He would spend thousands of hours perfecting an approach. He would then only follow that approach, rigidly. Anyone who thought differently was an idiot. " Be wise, not otherwise." was his favourite quote. Which one was right?

Maybe one should be wise before you can be otherwise. One should first perfect something as conventional wisdom dictates and then when you have mastered all known approaches, go for the unknown.

But therein lies the problem: In becoming wise the passion goes. In the process of becoming wise, one becomes one of the grey-suited metronomes and all passion for the unknown goes. I wish I knew the answer.

Hoopla, and with all of that I became a"newbie" See, the more you learn the less you know or the more you post the more you fall down the ladder.

Last edited:
Being good at something does not necessarily mean being passionate about it, or even liking it. When those two things align is when the magic happens.
Learning more about something could kill that passion, but maybe it then wasn't passion to begin with? Or maybe learning about the limits of what you can achieve destroys the mystery for some, while it fires up someone else to exceed those limits.
I used to be passionate about many things. But passion is an emotional construct and if your emotional energy wanes so do your ability to be passionate.
Maybe learning is a passion killer because it is about knowledge not emotion.

Hoopla, and with all of that I became a"newbie" See, the more you learn the less you know

Allmost right Johan, the more You learn, the more You realise how little You know, but realising that is a good ground for putting Yourself into perspective,
I´ve learnt a lot, know close to nothing, but I have a ponytail, which perhaps means that I even don´t know how to find a barber shop.

Ingvar

Allmost right Johan, the more You learn, the more You realise how little You know, but realising that is a good ground for putting Yourself into perspective,
I´ve learnt a lot, know close to nothing, but I have a ponytail, which perhaps means that I even don´t know how to find a barber shop.

Ingvar
Yup going rapidly backward. Someone was looking for a copy of Meddle. I wanted to give advice from experience but it seems I do not have the privilege to post there. Hot damn. Was it my breath or the fact that I quite like Jammy?

Experience is out of fashion since May 12 1983.

Ingvar
Oh dear. That was the year I turned 21. I almost shudder at the amount of nonsense I spoke before then. Now you tell me what I said since are totally out of fashion. Now I understand. Probably better for me to shut up then!

As a fellow old person: did you know 78-33 =45? Being a little too young and way not cool enough, I never lived the Disco era. However, a million years ago, I read that New York's Studio 54 used Thorens TD 125 turntables and Koetsu cartridges into Klipschorns for their uber-cool dancefloor. I thought it cool then but hell, the 125 is a marvellous-sounding table but that wobbly suspension in Disco mode? I love Koetsus but more for their pipe and slippers sound. I thought K-Horns were cool but not a patch on what contemporary JBL, Altec or even ElectroVoice pros can do! Never mind TAD!

But still, all those memories made me sit with eagle eyes through a documentary on Studio 54. I am convinced they would never, ever have allowed me there but sure as sh!t there were the 125s! Why not EMTs or if you must, TD 124s?

Anyway, I spent the afternoon listening to 45 rpm LPs. Well didn't they call them maxi singles.? You know Frankie goes to Hell--I mean Hollywood and the Human League. Wow!! Wow!!! Emboldened I have Rumours on 45 reissue so that must be marvellous. Well no, Audiophile sound yes but the original 33 is much closer to the 15ips tape!

So yeah, where are my white suit and that medallion?

Last edited:
As a fellow old person: did you know 78-33 =45?

Vaguely aware of that, problem comes when You do 78-33 1/3.

I never lived the Disco era.

I did, not in NY but in Stockholm and at Big Brother, (Electro Voice place built and Technics TT´s as far as I remember) not Studio 54, those were the times of Boogie Nights so there was a lot of penicilin doses required.

there were the 125s! Why not EMTs or if you must, TD 124s?

Belt drive and suspended subchassis were the buzzwords of the day, fashion always beats common sense.

Ingvar

Yup going rapidly backward. Someone was looking for a copy of Meddle. I wanted to give advice from experience but it seems I do not have the privilege to post there. Hot damn. Was it my breath or the fact that I quite like Jammy?
There should be no reason why you can't post there. I've asked @mygoggie to look into it.

Photo from carousel.sg

Pass, with Besne formed Pass Labs and later partner, Joe Summat (who was with Krell in the interim) joined. The rest, as they say, is history. "I'll design the amps and you style them".
And now that I spot this, I should probably say that I still am not an engineer. And I too was born in 1951, just like Pass.

Back