Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Simple 2A3 stereo single ended amplifier

Karel Mars

Commercial Member
Website
www.marsamps.co.za
Every one wants to hear the 2A3 sound, not so? And nobody has an amp to hear the magic with?

So while I am looking at the details of building a killer 2A3 SE amp, I need to listen to music to take the edge off modern life.

3.5 watts per channel is not a lot of power, so a relatively small output transformer should be good for starters.

I checked out a design for a 2 in series primary and 2 in parallel secondary design. An EI76 with a 40mm stack should give about 24H primary inductance and should be good for a 16Hz to 42kHz bandwidth. It might also be a good reference to measure the killer 2A3 output transformers against.

The current draw on the HT side of the power supply is also quite benign - 120mA for two 2A3's. A 10H inductor that can handle a current of 140mA, for the PI filter, could be wound on a 25mm x 25mm core with 0.224mm Cu. The power transformer would fit on a EI96 EI core of 50mm.

That leaves the issue of caps. I have a few polypropylene capacitors that would suffice, I hope. I need about 10uF and 100uF for the PI filter.

Now what driver tube to use? I have a few 6SL7's waiting to sing. The 6SQ7's are also feeling very neglected. And what about the 6C5GT's and the 6SF5's

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2013/04/tube-of-month-6sf5.html

So let's start here:

2A3-triode.jpg

Subscribed! Please calculate some B9A or B7 type valve options for V1 position please if you can. Not sure, maybe something from the 12AU7/AT7..or others.. Not sure what would be suitable here. Thanks for this one Karel!

Subscribed! Please calculate some B9A or B7 type valve options for V1 position please if you can. Not sure, maybe something from the 12AU7/AT7..or others.. Not sure what would be suitable here. Thanks for this one Karel!
Will do. Let me get the power supply sorted so we can start playing with the tubes.

I opted for a 38mm lamination for the power transformer (114mm laminations, 44mm stack) Here is a picture of the rolled bobbin of the power transformer:

IMG_20231023_222443.jpg

4 low voltage secondaries:
  • 2 x 2.5V 2.5A for the 2A3's
  • 1 x 6.3V 1.2A for the driver tube
  • 1 x 5V 3A for the rectifier
IMG_20231023_222459.jpg

High voltage secondaries:

• 320V AC for the 250V DC option
Choke-Input-320V-2023-10-24.png
  • 360V AC for the 300V DC option
Choke-Input-360V-2023-10-24.png
  • 450V AC for the 400V DC option
Choke-input-450V-2023-10-24.png
Next in line is the 10H choke

Ideally some Frugal or Fostex single driver back loaded horn. Otherwise a full range driver in a bass reflex box. Actually, this amp sounds good with a lot of speakers. The mojo is just at a lower volume.

If you groove at night any speakers would probably be fine. The tubes have low plate resistance and control the speakers very well.

Back