Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Custom Technics SP15 build

DIY and custom designed projects

fdlsys

R.I.P. March 2024
Almost there. 90% +-

Personal favourite of the SP series. Less torque and consequently less kick and vibration than SP10, but much more a studio machine than the last of the SPs - the SP25 - which shares the motor with SL1200.

A turntable that is sonically incredibly rewarding and ergonomically easy to live with.

SP15 can genuinely be used as-is, without the plinth, as a bare motor unit standing on its own bottom cover little feet, with no sonic payback. Of course it wouldn't look as nice...

20231112_142734.jpg

20231112_142744.jpg

20231112_142809.jpg

As mentioned before, plinth is 3x 20mm birch play sandwich finished in white oak veneer and Woodoc10, with bottom "skirt" (I like Sondek plinth look) fashioned from solid white oak.

Weiss was the inspiration for the finish. Colour match, and hopefully a compatible spirit.

Tonearm is a long story on its own.
Coming...

Last edited:
The tonearm started its life as a regular Michell RB250, with full length one piece silver wiring. It ended its life in a domestic accident involving a glass (or few) of wine and elbow that landed on the arm breaking the headshell off, thanks to Michell holes very close to the front of tonearm.

After the surgery involving a 80mm carbon fibre tube graft, and wiring being replaced with "ordinary" Mogami copper (silver was transplanted into a replacement RB300 that went to the client), it became a 300mm effective length internally damped RB250 Michell carbon fibre fibre hybrid.

Headshell was carved from a piece of white oak to match the theme.
I used oak before (see @JonnyP 's 12" carbon fibre SME 3009) and to me it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Plinth and armboard design cater for arms starting from "short 9" (SME3009) all the way up to "long 12" (SME3012). Lid operates even with long-12 underneath.

Same armboard can be used for different arms because it can be rotated.

A few more armboard blanks were made just in case.

20231112_145813.jpg

20231112_150721.jpg

Well done Mike it looks stunning! Especially that headshell, very jealous. With those skills you should carve a cartridge housing as well. Tried it but no cigar on round 1.

If only we could have the best of both worlds, heavy platters, close tolerance bearings, good torque, accurate speed, low rumble and suspended sub chassis isolation.

All for less than a small car of course.

Back