Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

XLR/Balanced interconnects

Theoretically a true balanced connection should sound better than single ended, assuming that the positive and negative conductors inside the cable are identical and create the same (common mode) distortion/noise as it will be cancelled when the positive and negative signals are summed at the receiving (amplifier) end.

More importantly - is the cable made of copper and is the source and amplifier truely balanced (differential) devices or do they have extra circuitry on the outputs and inputs to create and sum the balanced signals?

I have a few spare vdh d103 MK111 XLR if you want to upgrade, I bought about 10 pairs, different lengths, but I have a few spare as I got two more pairs coming,
One from Andre and the pair that I bought from Gary 2 months back that I’m still waiting for

Is it much of a muchness or will the Kirlin ones I got for cheap at Soundworks in Tokai be ok for my 1st try?
1st try should be fine. Then make some decisions there are many good cablers floating around. I'm a fan of Cardas , their studio cable and Mogami myself. Luckily, I have many studio cables from over the years of my radio work etc, and those seem to degrade less. My 2 cents but I have heard some top end cable sound amazing in the systems of others.

Last edited:
1st try shopuld be fine. Then make some decisions there are many good cablers floating around. I'm a fan of Cardas , their studio cable and Mogami myself. Luckily, I have many studio cables from over the years of my radio work etc, and those seem to degrade less. My 2 cents but I have heard some top end cable sound amazing in the systems of others.
Big Mogami fan myself. All my now unused rca interconnects are Mogami.

Back