Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

🥄 Stirring the pot

Crafty

So I'm semi in the camp of cables matters. I mean China is making some premium crap for consumers to buy.
My opinion...
Get good wire. no need for esoteric cables. Over 2K zar for power hungry speakers is possibly a waste for a 2 x 1.5 meter setup.
Blue Jeans being a good example of good wire. I would gladly use bluejeans on a R500K system. (not there yet)

Whatever gimmicky nonsense is going on in Cardas cables works for my ears, but cables lifters? Hmmm...

Jeepers that must be to power the LHC or something! What's the pic from?

o_O no need to move them cables man, they connect two things together only. It must be for performance.... o_O Already busy copying them design, it's CERN engineering after all, only the best!

o_OGroetnis

I've had the best results with Cat5.
For makro/hifi-corp/checkers equipment... this is fine
However, cat5 is limited to about 3.3 amps.
On 8 ohm speakers with an amp running on rails of 35v (typical medium end) you will need wires that support 4A or more.
1690402242021.png

For makro/hifi-corp/checkers equipment... this is fine
However, cat5 is limited to about 3.3 amps.
On 8 ohm speakers with an amp running on rails of 35v (typical medium end) you will need wires that support 4A or more.
View attachment 962
I'm no engineer, but is this not only when you are actually running 153w output?

I'm no engineer, but is this not only when you are actually running 153w output?
Yes. But think high end. B&W 800D speakers are not efficient. The recommended power amp is 400 watts per side.
Folks run them with powerful monoblocks such as classe, because they are power hungry speakers. Besides. Some decent 4 core blue jeans wire might be cheaper than STP network cable. Wait... let me check that.
Okey.. I stand corrected. A pair of terminated blue jeans cable is about 50USD. So the point is, there are some setups that require huge power even for mid level db's

True, but Tillerman may have flea-amp. Anyway, since the point of the thread is stirring the pot I don't think he can really hear a difference 😜

I don't have a flea-amp (yet), but I do have relatively sensitive full range speakers. Yes, just stirring the pot like Getafix - maybe some magic potion will emerge.

Back