Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Advice needed for living room setup.

DC|K

HI,

I'm looking for an audio setup for my living room with a R20k max R30k budget, my living room is open plan and the dimensions is 10m x 10m. The main goal is to stream Apple Music from my phone, and maybe connect it to my TV via HDMI. I'm not looking for a solution that has surround sound speakers. A 2.0 or 2.1 system will do fine. I have googled a bit and it seem active speakers will more likely fit in my budget as an entry level amp alone can easily be R20k. I need advice as there is a bewildering array of options to choose from. I do enjoy good quality sound, but I'm not an audiophile. I really enjoy punchy bass, and my choice in music is pop with some dance music. So I would lean a little bit more towards a system that has power over absolute clarity.

I've attached photo of my built in wall unit. Will it be advisable to put the speakers inside the the wall unit. Or should they rather be freestanding in front of it on the floor?

The small TV on the right can be moved to a different location.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-04 at 12.22.18_4b5ef31c.jpg

I would guess that you want bookshelves, but I wouldn't put them in the shelves, I think it will be quite boomy...but I'm no expert, and you should really try it in the shelves, and on the sides if there is space. If there is none and you have to do the shelf thing get speakers with front firing ports, or sealed. If there is space on the sides, consider floor standers that don't need a sub, perhaps?

I hear you on the actives, but I would get second hand stuff, amp and speakers. In the 2nd hand market, 20k is a good budget imo.

Upvote 0
... also, black Friday is around the corner and some of the commercial members generally have good specials on Bentley and Klipsch.

Upvote 0
I have a yamaha receiver abs it's great, but the above seems like a waste of you won't have surround? Maybe have a look at this thread, no idea how many of the brands have local presence... https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-2-channel-amps-with-hdmi.2461423/

Thanks I did check out that thread, but it seems the ones that is available locally is similarly priced as a Yamaha RX-V4A.

Will the RX-V4A have enough power for most speakers when2 channels are used?
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)
80 W (6 ohms, 0.06% THD)

Upvote 0
That amp should have no issue driving most speakers. However I would look for a stereo amp with hdmi eArc. If you don't need multi channel it would probably serve you better.

Upvote 0
That amp should have no issue driving most speakers. However I would look for a stereo amp with hdmi eArc. If you don't need multi channel it would probably serve you better.

How about the Denon DRA-800H, and will that work with these speakers?

Polk Signature Elite ES50
or
Polk Reserve R200

And the Polk HTS 12 sub.

And Apple TV 4K (With the Apple TV, I can control the Apple Music app on the Apple TV from my phone, so the Apple TV will do the streaming to the amp and wont drain my phone's battery)

Upvote 0
Looks like a decent amplifier. Those speakers seems quite sensitive so the amp should be more than capable of driving the.
That said I have no experience with any of these products so just take that into account.

Upvote 0
I've decided on a DRA-800H and a SVS SB-1000 Pro sub.

I will be in Gauteng over the weekend to listen to speakers to make a decision on which to take, any ideas on specific make and models?
My budget for the floor standing pair will be R20k.

I am going way over budget lol.

Upvote 0
Back