Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Changing plug on power cable

drifter

I have this Audioquest power cable that has a two pin Euro wall plug.
My hifi unit's cable management will not allow either the kettle plug side or the wall plug side to fit through the dedicated holes. I therefore have to remove the plug and thread the bare cable through and then reattach the plug.
The issue is that it seems as if the wall plug is a molded affair and I can't see any way to open it up to remove it.

Before I take a saw and cut it off - are there any clever forumites that can think of a better way of removing the plug without losing a few cm's of cable?

PS: There is no way of enlarging the AV unit's cable management holes, so that is definitely not an option. There is only one way of doing this and it is to remove the wall plug. I will replace it with a PROP three point plug once the cable is in its final resting place threaded through the AV unit so I'm not planning on reusing the Euro two pin plug - so it is fine if gets FUBAR during the process.

I will listen by the radio. Fanks.

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6415.JPG

I don't see any other way to do it. But I would moer it lightly with a hammer just to check if something jumps off before cutting.

Upvote 0
Either cut and rewire, or use an adaptor (as in, cut before the cable management then add in an adaptor (connector?)

Upvote 0
Why not use a Euro to SA adaptor? You get ones that include the ground pin.

Edit: you can soak the front end/plug in Xylene. It will make the pvc soft and you can remove it fairly easily. Attach then your SA standard plug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So plug was removed successfully without me losing any fingers. I managed to hack away a fair bit if the rubber moulded plug which exposed about 5cm of additional cable. The end of the plug near the prongs underneath the rubber was a very hard plastic so I decided to cut the plug off at that point.

I have stripped the ends, ready to fit an SA 3-pin plug. I had a few PROP plugs left that I bought from Highveld stereo and was planning on fitting one of them. The Audioquest cable is a hosepipe with a diameter just short of 20mm. It barely fits into the PROP but with some bad words thrown in for good measure it will work. The issue however is that the cables for live and neutral are so thick and hard, that it cannot be bent at such an extreme right angle needed to fit into the prongs. Earth of course is no issue as it just goes in straight.

The easiest would probably be to fit a Schuko plug that would not require the live, neutral and earth cables to be bent to fit into the plug. I did a quick Google and it seems only Furutech is available but very very pricey.

Thoughts?

IMG_6420.JPG

Upvote 0
Might be an opportunity to tin the stripped cable. If you’re going to go to this effort on an expensive power cable, may as well ensure the copper strands don’t part under fastening pressure, even if they do look pretty chunky.

Upvote 0
So plug was removed successfully without me losing any fingers. I managed to hack away a fair bit if the rubber moulded plug which exposed about 5cm of additional cable. The end of the plug near the prongs underneath the rubber was a very hard plastic so I decided to cut the plug off at that point.

I have stripped the ends, ready to fit an SA 3-pin plug. I had a few PROP plugs left that I bought from Highveld stereo and was planning on fitting one of them. The Audioquest cable is a hosepipe with a diameter just short of 20mm. It barely fits into the PROP but with some bad words thrown in for good measure it will work. The issue however is that the cables for live and neutral are so thick and hard, that it cannot be bent at such an extreme right angle needed to fit into the prongs. Earth of course is no issue as it just goes in straight.

The easiest would probably be to fit a Schuko plug that would not require the live, neutral and earth cables to be bent to fit into the plug. I did a quick Google and it seems only Furutech is available but very very pricey.

Thoughts?

View attachment 2737
What size wire is that? 4mm^2?

Surely you can bend it with some pliers - alternatively bend just the copper and not the insulation.

The picture make it look more like thick insulation and not really thick copper.

Upvote 0
Back