Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• You will find a new "Visual" section in the Classifieds. Sell your camera and visual related equipment here!

Live music

Stefan

Commercial Member
Website
airmusic.co.za
I am a sucker for live music. I am drawn like a moth to a flame by any live music performance, may it be a top-notch and professional production like the Sound of Music I posted about in the pic of the day thread or just a busker in the street. Of course, I can discern quality performances and appreciate those with actual talent. Still, if I hear a drumstick on a cymbal, a choir in a mall or xylophones at a school event, my family knows they will have to be patient as I am not letting the opportunity pass to experience some live music.

With this as context and especially as most audio enthusiasts would say that it is all about the music, I would like to suggest a thread is created, a sticky of some sort where we can share our live music experiences. It could be the big gigs or even a family member playing an instrument in our houses.

Lastly, perhaps not as the primary motivation for such a thread but still worthwhile as a consideration, I am also in agreement with Karen Sumner, the CEO of Transparent Audio, that if we want to advance the state of our shared interest in audio, live music, especially acoustic music, should be our true north. ( I think her thoughtful writing is insightful and often on-point).

Just an idea..
Stefan

Last edited:
Thank you very much for granting my wish @mygoggie and team.

Let me open the conversation by reminiscing a bit. One of the big items on my bucket list was attending a Peter Gabriel show. In Dec 2014 I took the plunge and booked a show in Dublin and travelled to Ireland to tick this item off. Dec 10th 2014 it was and a lovely atmospheric evening in the city of literature and rugby (a friendly bunch the Dubliners and if they hear you are from SA they just want to talk rugby). :) The performance, Back to Front was one of my most memorable musical experiences.

Here is my take on the highlight for me

Last edited:
Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I have never paid for drinks in any Irish pub. When you start speaking they know you are from SA and they only want to chat rugby! Drinks on them.

It's an event to pencil in.

We attended the Feb classical concert, and as you can see, it was a fun event. The Cape Town Philharmonic performed a program that enticed and enchanted even those who might not be classical music lovers.

Last edited:
I am also a sucker for live music, not the big stadium stuff (although some are great), preferably small venue with either a great PA system, or maximum volume. Some of my favourites from the past:

Tindersticks at the Q club Birmingham (a converted Methodist church hall) around 1992, then at the Irish Centre a year or so later.

American Music Club at the Irish Centre - you could hear weeping during some of the more emotional acoustic numbers (Western Sky, Blue and Grey Shirt, Fireflies) followed by roars of approval during the rockier material (Hello Amsterdam, Rise)

The Wedding Present - Lucky enough to have seen the Bizzaro tour in Birmingham Hummingbird in either 1989 or 1990 then the 30th Anniversary of Bizzaro tour in Altona in 2019. The first I blacked out during a crush in the moshpit, the second I was up the front with a stranger dancing and shouting until I felt like fainting.

The Oh Sees - Hamburg 2015 or 2016 I forget which, in the top of a WW2 bunker with great sound and sweat dripping from the ceiling whilst they krautrocked, psych-rocked and punk rocked the heck out of it with double drummers.

Hailu Mergia - Hamburg 2019, Ethiopian Jazz seemingly with every Ethiopian in the province attending, bo moshpit, just a dance floor of note.

J.Zunz - Hamburg Billstedt 2022, first gig after lockdown in a dungeon at an arts centre. Drones, vibes and psychedelic sounds of the electronic variety, stunning but extremely loud.

Cannibal Corpse - SO36 Berlin 2017? I own and will never own any of their music (death metal is not my thing) but a ticket was available at the bottle store across the road and I thought why not. The only band I've ever seen thank the audience for singing 'Happy Birthday' to the lead singer (HB dear Corpsegrinder) by playing a song called 'Hammer Smashed Face', great fun, great audience, very tongue in cheek and wore me out.

And a last one which was at Uni (honorable mention):

Lush - Birmingham Burberries 1989, they had a repertoire of 6 original songs, and when they had played them apologized that that was all they had. Then played two of them and a cheesy cover as an encore (my opinion of this gig is somewhat colored by being in lust with Miki Berenyi, she still makes my heart flutter)

Back