Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Mars Tube Audio

Karel Mars

Commercial Member
Website
www.marsamps.co.za
Mars Tube Audio was registered as a business in 2004 with the idea to develop interest in vacuum tube amplifiers, and service the market for same products. We do DIY courses where you build your own tube amplifier over two days. We also supply custom built single ended and push-pull amplifiers. To be able to do this effectively, we manufacture our own transformers with South African steel and copper. You can buy our own designs, or you can request a design to be built to your own specifications.

Items ordered are built one at a time, in one workshop.

Inquiries are welcome. Orders take between 14 and 30 days to be delivered, depending on the specifics of the order.

Mars-Performer-poster.jpg

We are currently building 300B and KT88 stereo single-ended amplifiers.

The Mars Exceller is a 16watt per channel (UL) or 8 watt per channel (triode) amplifier that is designed to match high sensitivity loudspeakers such as Tannoy dual concentrics and Klipsch floorstanders. We have many satisfied clients using this particular amplifier. We also have other single ended amplifiers to consider, but the price/sound quality ratio on the Exceller is particularly attractive.

Mars-Exceller-SE88.jpg

Specifications:

• 20 kg when boxed for shipping
  • KT88 output tubes
  • 6SN7 or 6SJ7 input tubes
  • 5U4G rectifier
  • output transformers are EI M6 laminatios with a 25% to 42% ultra linear taps depending on customers request.
  • 10 Henry choke loaded power supply
  • Output transformers have enough primary inductance to reproduce 20Hz at 1 watt and 50Hz at 16watts
  • global negative feedback optional. Most listeners prefer triode mode with no negative feedback.
  • Currently selling for R19 900.00

image_2023-10-13_154318332.png

We have an October Special on the Exceller!

Satisfy your DHT fetish with an Exceller supplied with 300B/2A3 tubes.

• 8 watts per channel Class A with 300B/3 watts per channel Class A with 2A3 tubes
  • 274 rectifier tube
  • Golden Voice rectifier and output tubes
  • 6SN7/6SJ7 russian military input tube
  • Choke input filter for best regulation
  • Film capacitors in PSU
  • Price: R24 900 + shipping
  • Weight: 20kg

We have sourced 300B/2A3 tubes at a reasonable price and would like to forward this discount to customers.

Golden Voice

66% deposit needed on order/30 days to deliver

PM to order

I love your minimalistic designs Karel, but I'm curious to know if a sexy VU meter (working) is a possibility.

I think the right style quality VU could make your amps even more desirable.

Hi Mr_B, I get regular requests for VU's, and have built quite a few amps with them in.

Which style of VU do you think is would be sexy? Round or square? Any other designs?

Exceller-300B-VU-1024.jpg

IMG_20220629_121637.jpg

I don't know hey... I know I'm not classy, but I also prefer a minimalist look. That, however, just doesn't speak to me. The symmetry is a bit overdone. All it needs is a nose.

Back