Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• You will find a new "Visual" section in the Classifieds. Sell your camera and visual related equipment here!

Movies worth watching

Family_Dog

Administrator
Website
www.repcom.co.za
Let's discuss worthwhile Movies here.

127 Hours
Recently I watched the true story concerning a Canyoneer (one who explores deep rock canyons) who was deep in a canyon when a boulder fell trapping his right arm. Unable to free himself, he was trapped in this hell-hole for five days before eventually resorting to drastic measures in order to effect an escape.

The film is tense throughout and I would suggest a worthy one to watch.

-F_D

If you like short (really short) films, then...

L'altra par - An Egyptian film that won the first award for best short film at the Venice Film Festival.
The film describes how people get caught up in technology and forget about the best things in life, human coexistence with love and brotherhood.

New findings regarding construction of the great pyramids . Very interesting . There are a few facts that seem incorrect , but overall a lot of intelligent information .

It's very long , so you may need to watch in 3 or 4 sessions , there is a version on youtube that is split in 4 parts .

Why can't they make 90 minute movies in Hollywood anymore? If a film is over 2 hours long it better grab me in the first 5 minutes otherwise I am unlikely to get to the end of it.

Why can't they make 90 minute movies in Hollywood anymore? If a film is over 2 hours long it better grab me in the first 5 minutes otherwise I am unlikely to get to the end of it.

It makes no difference what the length of any movie or series or documentary is - if it hasn't held my interest for the first 10 minutes then I cease watching. Which probably explains why we hardly ever watch TV, as 99,9% of what is "created" these days is rubbish. Much better ways to spend the time than wasting it watching drivel.

It makes no difference what the length of any movie or series or documentary is - if it hasn't held my interest for the first 10 minutes then I cease watching. Which probably explains why we hardly ever watch TV, as 99,9% of what is "created" these days is rubbish. Much better ways to spend the time than wasting it watching drivel.

Can't really argue with that. For the past 5 years or so we have been watching series every night for about an hour. That's about it for me. 1 hour a day. The rest of my time is spent watching and learning from YouTube.

I was dragged to go and see the Elvis movie in the cinema recently. It's the first time I have been in a cinema in about 20 years. I nearly died. That movie went on and on and on.

Can't really argue with that. For the past 5 years or so we have been watching series every night for about an hour. That's about it for me. 1 hour a day. The rest of my time is spent watching and learning from YouTube.

I was dragged to go and see the Elvis movie in the cinema recently. It's the first time I have been in a cinema in about 20 years. I nearly died. That movie went on and on and on.
The Pyramid movie(documentary really) is very long , but quite informative , with new information . I agree with most of what is discussed , it is always prudent to decide for yourself .

It's educational and on YouTube , so you're covered . I had it playing whilst working on an amp , so I absorbed most of it by osmosis , stopping to watch only when taking a break or having my interest piqued . It gets more interesting towards the end , but you need the earlier information to understand .

"The Alpinist" on Netflix - an amazing movie and document, worthwhile watching.

Two personally rewarding moments at about 47 minutes and 1hr 27minutes - these two amazing scenes/shots and it but gives us a small glimpse of this young man's achievements. Awestruck!

"The Alpinist" on Netflix - an amazing movie and document, worthwhile watching.

Two personally rewarding moments at about 47 minutes and 1hr 27minutes - these two amazing scenes/shots and it but gives us a small glimpse of this young man's achievements. Awestruck!
You should also check out The Dawn Wall, and Free Solo.

Not a movie I've watched recently, but last night after the Freak Zone, 6music had Cillian Murphy filling in for the Crucial selector Don Letts. He played something I'd never heard before which summed up sitting in the house as a kid on a wet, grey, cold afternoon in the UK then pointed out that he played it as on Saturday it was a wet, cold , hrey afternoon so he'd replicated what he had done as a kid with the two channel TV using a web service - watched the 1962 Brando version of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' as when the weather is like that outside, there'snothing better than watching Brando and Richard Harris in Tahiti in Technicolor!

I used to do the same as a student, and miss the randomness of the available old movies on TV back then

Back