Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Multiple wireless headphones from one source

Toxxyc

Good morning everyone,

I'm happy to post my first thread on here! Got a good one too, I hope. So, this past Sunday I was approached by a guy in our church where we are now (new church, new town, new province) and he asked me if I know something about tech. I said "a little bit" and then he asked me if I could help. Our church has a few older members whose ears aren't all there anymore. The church has a sound system and computer, and they do amplify the pastor's voice and all that, but they're still having difficulty hearing properly.

So I was asked to assist. I have two options I can think of, but neither I have much experience with. They are:

1. Bluetooth. I'm aware there are some nice Bluetooth things out there, but this has two issues I can think of. First, range. Bluetooth doesn't have the best range, and across a church it might cause issues. Second, even though you can connect many devices at once, it seems you can select only one, or at most, with BT5, two devices to receive audio at once. That's going to cause problems if we have more than two people who want to listen at a time. To boot, Bluetooth devices brought from home is inevitably going to cause issues if you have to spend time before each service connecting each person's own Bluetooth devices, so for me, this is a headache solution.

2. Wireless audio. I know Sennheiser has a headphone kit called the RS 120 II that takes regular 4.5mm audio jacks and you can plug as many into a source as you want. The base then transmits this audio, each to its own heaphones. When done, you just set the headphones on the base, which charges the headphones and keeps it ready for next use. But, they are expensive, and I was wondering if there's an alternative? It's benefits are range, ease of use, and, you can buy as many as you need. If you just want 2 or 3 at first, you can get that, and buy a few more in the future.

Does anyone know if there are alternatives? I've done some Googling and whatnot, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I had another thought, and that was to run cables to the seats, but that's going to be a nightmare, and if people don't sit in their regular spots, they won't be able to plug in, so wireless it has to be.

Looking forward to your input, guys, and thanks for reading so far!

I’m not an expert, and am aware that that phrase is the worst opening to premise an input on a technical question.

You get RF headsets specific for conferencing (esp. for live translations) and they usually include microphones and headphones. They allow a few separate channels and the range is usually quite good.

The other thought, but not sure where one would buy this in SA, would be a silent disco setup, since you don’t seem to need duplex transmission.

I’ve not set up either of these, just used them.

That silent disco comment is gold, thanks mate. I now know what I should be looking for. I know those Sennies work, but the church can't spend R1,300 on per set per person. A silent disco setup would be very suitable, IF the price can come down slightly.

I'm just not sure how the RGB lighting in church would look :D

Back