Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Nagra phono stage...

fdlsys

R.I.P. March 2024
Interestingly the use of EF 806. It, like the similar EF 86, is a pentode. I have never met a product that uses it I liked.

Many years ago I had a Bottlehead Eros tape amp built. We used upgraded wires and caps, including Teflon caps in areas. It used an EF 86 and ECC 88. I had a few problems with it that had more to do with the type of tapehead than the product. Valve Fundis engineered a way to use the Telefunken EF 804S instead of the drop-in Telefunken 806S I used. It is a similar pentode with a different architecture inside but is not a drop-in replacement. Something to do with lowering internal capacitance or impedance in the 86/806 to the colour purple or something. The Eros took on a different character, being more crisp and open. A worthwhile change.

I later learnt that Abbey Road did similar to the Telefunken mic amps that The Beatles used. I read but do not know how true it is, that that made for much of the crisp, open sound The Beatles had compared to other groups.

Apart from never being able to afford the Nagra, I just knew if I had it, I would have the change made thus ruining my investment.

Last edited:
Interestingly the use of EF 806. It, like the similar EF 86, is a pentode. I have never met a product that uses it I liked.

Many years ago I had a Bottlehead Eros tape amp built. We used upgraded wires and caps, including Teflon caps in areas. It used an EF 86 and ECC 88. I had a few problems with it that had more to do with the type of tapehead than the product. Valve Fundis engineered a way to use the Telefunken EF 804S instead of the drop-in Telefunken 806S I used. It is a similar pentode with a different architecture inside but is not a drop-in replacement. Something to do with lowering internal capacitance or impedance in the 86/806 to the colour purple or something. The Eros took on a different character, being more crisp and open. A worthwhile change.

I later learnt that Abbey Road did similar to the Telefunken mic amps that The Beatles used. I read but do not know how true it is, that that made for much of the crisp, open sound The Beatles had compared to other groups.

Apart from never being able to afford the Nagra, I just knew if I had it, I would have the change made thus ruining my investment.
My UK 1st press of Abbey Road is one of the best sounding records i own.

I would love to find a mono copy of Sgt Peppers.

Nagra is one of those brands that I always think looks very nice. Really have a unique brand image. Never heard anything of theirs though and looking at the price tag on that phono I will probably never hear it.
@Agaton Sax I think the cobalt transformers built by watch makers probably, achieves the specific shade of the colour purple impedance that is needed in this reimagining of what a phono stage should be.

Back