Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Picture of the day

Mine is a blast from the past

My great-great-great grandfather, Jemariah Curtis, was the head of the legal team (called Solicitor-General) who were consulted by the Parliament in London to decide whether England joining the Crimean War in 1853 was justified

He was born in 1790 and went up to Oxford and worked at the the solicitor-general from 1819 to 1871 when he got knocked over by a bus outside Bank tube station. The autopsy reported that "he was seen to be unsteady on his feet due to imbibing at an office celebration". In other words he was drunk

1689423024745.png

It did not look like anything special to me (not that the Japanese text meant much)
But I did spot these substantial-looking mains cable in their felt-lined box. That's about R3600 worth. Cheap?

1690783358885.png

Darn right, almost brings a lump to my throat. This is ours and no bloody sellout or betrayal shall ever wrest this from our hands. It belongs to every sane person in this fair land irresspective of creed or color, except the stealing, scheming, murdering, pirates that have no sense of values and compassion.

Thank you for Simonstown Docks Johan, really fond memories...

Johan, stunning, stunning, stunning pics! The Simon's Town one reminded me that my father started out as a fitter and turner at Simon's Town naval base, where he met my mom at Simon's Town train station, after mistaking her for her twin sister... and that's how I ended up in this world!

Johan, stunning, stunning, stunning pics! The Simon's Town one reminded me that my father started out as a fitter and turner at Simon's Town naval base, where he met my mom at Simon's Town train station, after mistaking her for her twin sister... and that's how I ended up in this world!

1690900661542.png
Yep Simonstown Naval Base. 1969 I ended up on the old SAS Simon van der Stel. Ex British WW2 Destroyer HMS Whelp.
1969 the year when two weather researchers stationed on Gough Island got lost and perished in a snowstorm. Simon was instructed to go on a search and rescue, which took us through the Roaring Forties. Nobody allowed on deck on account of the terrific high seas and extreme winds. The two blokes were found huddled in a small alcove, frozen to death.

Thanks for sharing Mr_B: Of course this Karoo boertjie was well on his way to become a full time sailor. If it wasn't for my older brother who stuck an application form under my nose for a NASA funded project, I might have perhaps not be doing what I do today...

Back