Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• You will find a new "Visual" section in the Classifieds. Sell your camera and visual related equipment here!

Restoration Quad 22 - Restoration project

Restoration projects

mygoggie

Administrator
Does anyone own a Quad 22? I would like to 3D print a new front face and require the measurements.

If you can assist by either scanning the front or take some measurements, I will greatly appreciate it!

Seems like there is a dire shortage of these amps in SA. I will start with reverse engineering from what I have and online photos.

Starting point will be the front frame onto which the faceplate will be fastened. Here is a scan of the plate.

Scan of front face.jpg

From one of the carcasses I have here I could work out where the mounting holes are located. These are indicated in yellow.

Scan of front face with mounting hole locations.jpg

Last edited:
For the front face measurements I decided to buy a parts chassis in the UK and ship it to me where I currently am in the world. Not too expensive.

Having sample buttons resin printed so looking forward to receiving these!

1707701178412.png

Last edited:
It would be great if you can measure this little light pipe badge and post the measurements. I can then have a sample resin printed.

A quick update. I have compiled detailed sketches of the buttons, front face, light pipe badge, and the knobs.

The test run with the buttons went well with the resin printed version being identical in looks and feel to the original injection moulded buttons. The 3D printed versions does not feel the same so I am not going this route.

Here is a photo with the grey resin printed button on the left, the original in the centre and two versions of 3D filament printed buttons on the right.

IMG_2248.jpg

Next step is to make final adjustments to the button design, get the light pipe badge resin printed and the front face metal printed.

I think there is a real possibility to set up a small shop to sell these and other Quad parts. Your opinion?

Thanks @Family_Dog !

Currently also working on the design of the PCB for this amplifier. Basically it is a board with no tracks but the board is used to secure pins to which components are soldered.

IMG_2405.jpeg

The PCB type pegged board with dimensions.

Now onto KiCAD to get it drawn up with copper collars around each hole on both sides of the board. In my opinion soldered pegs will produce a much neater and stable board. The riveted ones are not all stable and tight and also the riveting process (I can see) produced some localised stress cracks.

PCB scan with dimensions.png

The little QUAD logo on the front face casting becomes brittle with time, and tends to crack at the flange area. I wonder if anybody has tried to resin print it?
I have designed the light pipe badge in 3D. Just figuring the font recess out and then we are good to go on resin printing.

If you can digitise the face into something like Fusion360 you'd be able to take it to any engineering company with a CNC and they could make it for you. Could probably get the writing etched into the steel too.

If you can digitise the face into something like Fusion360 you'd be able to take it to any engineering company with a CNC and they could make it for you. Could probably get the writing etched into the steel too.
I have done the digitising in FreeCAD. I can have it metal printed overseas so that also is sorted. The font I still need to sort out and then get that built into the 3D model.

The printed finish is really good and it will be painted so that takes care of any possible uneven areas.

Back