Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Rpi streamer

naboo

Hi

Had anyone here purchased a HAT for a pi streamer that does NOT have a dac, but just spdif output (to connect to an external streamer)?

RS electronics import one but it seems to work only up to pi 3.

Try PiShop in JHB, I ordered 2 x RPi3 from RS and when I queried delivery they told me they no longer sell them. So why advertise them on their website then? No message was evident that they had dropped the range. Pi3B+ arriving today from Pishop.

-F_D

Try PiShop in JHB, I ordered 2 x RPi3 from RS and when I queried delivery they told me they no longer sell them. So why advertise them on their website then? No message was evident that they had dropped the range. Pi3B+ arriving today from Pishop.

-F_D
Thanks, ordered from them in the past. No hifi thingies, unfortunately.

Hi, I have the HifBerry DigiPlus and use it with an older Raspberry Pi, the 2B or something like that. I run Volumio on the Raspberry PI and use the S/PDIF output to link up to an external DAC. Work with Tidal and Spotify (and local streaming server). The older Pi does not seem to be an issue. Fantastic solution. I purchased the DigiPlus from PiShop but they did not have it in stock when I wanted to source another one.

If you can get hold of a HifiBerry product, It has my highest recommendation.

Can you not just get a 3B raspberry Pi from pi shop, install roopiee which can act as both roon endpoint t and also Spotify wifi play?

I’m doing a 3B pi, with roopie installed and running that into an external DAC via usb
OK, thanks for clarifying. I don't have a USB DAC, mine is spdif only.

I read a bit, to try and figure out whether you would benefit from a HAT device to bypass your USB. As usual, opinions vary widely and I would only believe that you can tell the difference through a blind test 🤣

So is the purpose of the HAT to bypass and allow you to run from a Pi to the DAC via optical?

here is my experience with USB into the DAC:

I have setup that the Wiim pro plus going into DAC via coaxial & a Raspberry pi going into the DAC via USB.

Playing music via roon to both the wiim & the Pi as a group and being able to switch the DAC between inputs while listening

The coaxial (from the Wiim) sounds much better than the Pi through USB

Hi

Had anyone here purchased a HAT for a pi streamer that does NOT have a dac, but just spdif output (to connect to an external streamer)?

RS electronics import one but it seems to work only up to pi 3.
Hi Naboo I'm interested in the PI streamer project as well. It seems that to import parts will be the only option.
Check this guy out: https://www.youtube.com/@Gabster1
He likes using products from Ian Canada: https://iancanada.ca/
Looks like you can build wild supercapacitor power supplies and install re clockers with some very nice looking DAC hats.
I would love to listen to a nice PI setup vs something to likes the Eversolo devices.
Keep me updated on your project.

So is the purpose of the HAT to bypass and allow you to run from a Pi to the DAC via optical?

here is my experience with USB into the DAC:

I have setup that the Wiim pro plus going into DAC via coaxial & a Raspberry pi going into the DAC via USB.

Playing music via roon to both the wiim & the Pi as a group and being able to switch the DAC between inputs while listening

The coaxial (from the Wiim) sounds much better than the Pi through USB
Yes the particular HAT I am interested in has both spdif and optical outs. So the idea is that it takes the audio stream directly from the Pi without USB degradation. It would be interesting to see if you can hear any differences. Are you running a standard rpi switching power supply? That might make more of a difference if you change it (see postafter yours by @HC1 )

Hi Naboo I'm interested in the PI streamer project as well. It seems that to import parts will be the only option.
Check this guy out: https://www.youtube.com/@Gabster1
He likes using products from Ian Canada: https://iancanada.ca/
Looks like you can build wild supercapacitor power supplies and install re clockers with some very nice looking DAC hats.
I would love to listen to a nice PI setup vs something to likes the Eversolo devices.
Keep me updated on your project.
I've watched his videos before. I am already using the Pi as a streamer with normal audio out, in other words my pi is the dac 😂, will post impressions post the HAT implementation and next step will be power supply. Probably not the supercaps, though, just transformer/rectifier.

I've watched his videos before. I am already using the Pi as a streamer with normal audio out, in other words my pi is the dac 😂, will post impressions post the HAT implementation and next step will be power supply. Probably not the supercaps, though, just transformer/rectifier.
I like the idea of the 18650 battery psu. Don't know if it will be "quiter" than the standard wall plug.
This would be my choice for a dac hat: https://www.geewiz.co.za/audiotv-ac...KcOO_XoNUhtoKl_E9b1zGc-PdvNYblfhoC4KoQAvD_BwE

10/10 for commitment to the RPi architecture!!! 😂😂

Back