Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Samsung Q60C ARC to AVR (RX-A2010)

Minion

Hi all,

My setup is as follows:

Apple TV 4K into HDMI 1 port of the TV. HDMI 2 (ARC) port of the TV into the ARC port of Yamaha RX-A2010 AVR.

Connected as above since AVR is old and doesn’t support 4K passthrough.

eARC turned off in the TV settings (AVR doesn’t support eARC). However same result if leaving eARC on Auto.

Audio output format set to Auto on Apple TV 4K. Audio output format set to Auto on TV (Sound settings, expert settings).

Latest firmware installed on TV and AVR as well as Apple TV4K.

AVR is detected correctly by the TV, and accepts input (volume, on/off) from the TV remote.

When playing content from any app (Netflix, Plex), AVR is receiving PCM, but only 2 channels from the TV. I’m aware of the ATV4K limitations when streaming audio in Plex (PCM only), however it should be passing all 5 channels, not just 2. Changing the Audio format to DD5.1 on ATV4K results in 5.1 being received (however I would prefer not to have ATV do any format conversion and receive PCM).

Using the native TV Plex app results in correct passthrough to the receiver, which decodes it as DD etc depending on the source file.

Any idea why I am only getting 2 channels from the Apple TV 4K?

TIA.

ETA: Solved - seems ARC is limited to stereo PCM. Didn't know this.

Last edited:
Back