Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Custom signing off on 2 speaker projects

DIY and custom designed projects
Both these were part of the display at the expo late last year , the white pair had to go for a respray because of slight damage in transit :( Both pairs took far longer to finish than I first anticipated , but are now done.
The white pair MTM has 2 x 6 inch 4 ohm woofers in series and a custom tweeter pod of my own design (solid Cherry) It is crossed over low (1900 Hz) and the cab is tilted back slightly on the base to help acoustic alignment at the listening position. The slit between the speaker and base so formed also helps to "vent" the box. It is an aperiodic, or leaky box design , this gives better tighter control over the bass, compared to vented. The base is adjustable to level if needed. It covers 40Hz to 20 KHz. The cab is actually not my work - is was NOS, unused, originally intended for a Mission speaker. It took many hours to strip off the laminate that it came with and rehabilitate the carcass to paintable state. I was lucky to source components that were close in size with the baffle cutouts already made.

Back