Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Tell me about miniDSP

It does permit accurate tailoring of frequencies you might want to emphasise or reduce. But it cannot compensate for deficiencies in design

Think of subtle changes

Upvote 0
I recently suggested to a friend he must possibly look at a miniDSP system for his custom 3-way speaker build.

What do we need to know?
MiniDSP is well documented in various forums, also supported by free software like REW. The main thing to know about miniDSP is that there are basically two tiers, with the "HD" versions being the better-specced models.

A DSP crossover is highly versatile, but the way to benefit from its complexity and cost requires some knowledge and the willingness to traverse the learning curve. One can do as much good as bad with it.

Here are some miniDSP links that your friend may find helpful:

It does permit accurate tailoring of frequencies you might want to emphasise or reduce. But it cannot compensate for deficiencies in design
In the recently-shared NS-1000 YT video by Danny Richie, he had the need to eliminate a ringing in the mid-range. For this, he applied a notch filter. One can see how that the inclusion of this filter pulled down the adjacent frequencies. The problem here is that he needed a much higher Q filter than was practicable with passive parts if he wanted to avoid this general depression. With a DSP* he could have easily dialed in such a filter.

*It depends on the specific DSP: some do not have much flexibility. However, the ones designed for loudspeaker purposes usually can do this.

Upvote 0
Excellent move
I think the 2 versions are somewhat different - eg. onboard dac or with the hd,dac bypass
Anyway on the cheapy the integrated dac is not the greatest,but its job as an easy working active crossover make up for it (floating point blablas i dont understand) With rew and a Mic you gonna smile
(shoot for Dirac,if funds allow).
Yes it wont fix everything,like when sound bounce back from you know where šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MiniDSP is well documented in various forums, also supported by free software like REW. The main thing to know about miniDSP is that there are basically two tiers, with the "HD" versions being the better-specced models.

You are correct, however I think it is only the 2x4 which has an "HD" version. A lot of their other units use the same or similar chips but do not have the HD designation.
It seems all their newer products make use of the better chips anyways.

I love my MiniDSP's and have been using a DSP in both a car and home audio environment for a good couple of years now, I think since around 2015 and its difficult to go back. If you DIY I then feel a DSP is a no brainer and of even more use.

I have yet to give DIRAC live a try, but am keen to take a look and see what it is capable of. I assume it to be similar to Audyssey.
I have only heard good things about Dirac though.

Upvote 0
Back