Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Thiel model 2 repair

neoT

Hi, I can get a pair of Thiel model 2 speakers in exceptional condition for a reasonable price, one issue, one of the tweeters is dead, the rest looks and sounds very very good.
Is it repairable to the Thiel audio standard? Who would be able to do such repair?

Just to wrap this up.
I was suggested a lady in Roodepoort for speaker repair (Merle's Speaker Repair), I removed the tweeter and send it to her via postnet, tweeter was repaired (recoil) and working 100%, R400 excluding shipping. I did contact Willie Louw above but decided on Merle.

Just for interest sake.
When Thiel Audio finally went bankrupt (you can go read the history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiel_Audio) Rob Gillium setup a company called Coherent Source Service, they bought all available Thiel related components from the bankrupt company and focus on repairing Thiel products.
I contacted him and he had two 'new old stock' tweeters available, but at $150 a piece excl shipping I decided to try the repair option.

Upvote 0
Just to wrap this up.
I was suggested a lady in Roodepoort for speaker repair (Merle's Speaker Repair), I removed the tweeter and send it to her via postnet, tweeter was repaired (recoil) and working 100%, R400 excluding shipping. I did contact Willie Louw above but decided on Merle.

Just for interest sake.
When Thiel Audio finally went bankrupt (you can go read the history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiel_Audio) Rob Gillium setup a company called Coherent Source Service, they bought all available Thiel related components from the bankrupt company and focus on repairing Thiel products.
I contacted him and he had two 'new old stock' tweeters available, but at $150 a piece excl shipping I decided to try the repair option.
Chances are its not a Thiel Audio recone kit which Merle used.
T/S Parameters might have changed slightly but if you do not notice any difference then awesome!

I have mostly heard good things about Merle and her quality of work.

Upvote 0
Back