Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

This, pure and perfect

JonnyP

Finally got around to reading the Quietus today (generally check in every week) and was very sad to hear that the music writer (well, OK, critic) Neil Kulikarni has passed away. A great writer IMHO which is reflected in his reviews for Melody Maker and other publications from the nineties and beyond. Went Down the rabbit hole of a blog page and found (amongst other pieces), this explanation of why record shops were and are (to me) so vital. If nothing else, it is a great piece of writing. To me it expresses my obsession better than I ever could (it was written when HMV shops died in the UK, they have returned in a much diminished form):

Finally got around to reading the Quietus today (generally check in every week) and was very sad to hear that the music writer (well, OK, critic) Neil Kulikarni has passed away. A great writer IMHO which is reflected in his reviews for Melody Maker and other publications from the nineties and beyond. Went Down the rabbit hole of a blog page and found (amongst other pieces), this explanation of why record shops were and are (to me) so vital. If nothing else, it is a great piece of writing. To me it expresses my obsession better than I ever could (it was written when HMV shops died in the UK, they have returned in a much diminished form):

1+ thanks for this gift @JonnyP

I should add that most of his blogs were the more 'legendary' reviews, ie. many are the ones that were negative for very good reason. He was very passionate about good and bad music in his feelings and always (well, maybe not in that Ned's review but it was an awful waste of space album) gave his reasons. Simon Price wrote a great obituary on The Quietus (another music critic who most times got it on the nail, sometimes - Romo - not so much). Glad you enjoyed it.

Back