Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Thorens belt +

Grumpybear

I have a TD316, Rega RB300 & AT-F3 OCC II combo which has kept me happy since the early 1980s.

The belt gave up around 12 years ago and all I could find was a generic cheapie which has worked mostly OK since then. This is now way past end of life so the hunt began for a replacement and the internet turned up Thakker which looked good.

The AT cart has slowly developed a channel imbalance which now is around 6dB, maybe suspension issues? The Musical Fidelity A1 used has no balance control so this is very off putting, other than that it sounds fine. Not great but OK.

Thakker have a large range of cartridges so problem solved, but wait, no shipping option for SA. A message on the "contact us" form was responded to within half an hour, "sorry, we no longer list SA due to issues with your post office, would you like a quote for DHL Express to your door" Received quote, paid online and 3 days later parcel received as promised. All in a pleasure.

So now a Thakker belt and an AT120Eb await installation on the weekend. Hoping for a big jump in performance but time will tell.

At last after much cursing all up and running. Turns out every wire in the head shell was a dicy dry joint plus one RCA was dud as well. My eyes sure ain't what they were 25 years ago when I last tried anything as delicate but with the help of a huge magnifying glass with ring light all is good.

After 3 sides of play still a bit bright but much improved depth and detail and voices bang in the center at last, should mellow out a bit with use. How much of this is just the rewire we will never know, the new cart is in, working and sounds great and that's where it will stay. The original is safely in the box as an emergency spare.

Back