Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Vacuum tube manufacturing

Watched a few Tube videos and it basically is a simple manual process. The main tooling is also quite simple.

Main thing is to know your chemistry and metallurgy. No issues with this.

Glassblowing is about the most difficult portion of the manufacturing process.

Then the design of the emmiter(s) and collector(s) is one issue that lays barren before me. Surely there is a ton of knowledge on this in this community?

Been reading a bit ...OK, that is besides the Louis L'Amour books!

There are two books that I must get hold of it seems:
- Vacuum Tubes by Karl Spangenberg and
- 1962 RCA Vacuum Tube Manual

Let me get hold of these and see what vintage treasures are hidden between their covers!

A mate of mine is a porcelain expert so he can make the stands into which the tubes fit. No issues there for him.

Glass blower? I will have to ask around here in my valley. There used to be world renowned glass blowster (is this the correct feminine form?) in town.

Question ... if I design and make a vacuum tube valve, which model would you like to see?

My only criteria is that is must normally retail for enough to generate a profit when made in small quantities.

People should be able to build a respectable amplifier using something like ECL82 or ECL86 type valves, although this might be a bit complex to manufacture. A combined Triode-Pentode.

An octal-based valve would probably look better and easier to make but that would rule out a triode-pentode in one envelope.

-F_D

Back