Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Various 300B's that you have tried

Karel Mars

Commercial Member
Website
www.marsamps.co.za
Hi all Triode lovers

I am constantly manufacturing 300B amplifiers, and the issue of which 300B to use is a constant question.

So here we are. This is not a shoutout like TL en another forum. Rather a practical assessment of the following criteria:

• price
  • shipping
  • quality: are the tubes working and matched as ordered? Any other issues?
  • sound (good/average(hard to tell)/bad)
  • lifespan
  • recommendation: would you buy another pair in the future if you need a 300B pair?

My first experience with 300B was the Shuguang 300B

IMG_20160916_115814.jpg

• Currently listed at about $65
  • probably about $60
  • the tubes worked out of the box. Both tubes sounded the same and gave no problems in the time I had them with me
  • It was hard to tell. When you hear the 300B your perception of what is possible in audio reproduction shifts. Heavenly sound compared to tetrodes and pentodes in triode mode.
  • I supplied them to a customer, and he still have them after 7 years.
  • I would consider Shuguang in the future, but there are a few other options in a similar price range that I would be more drawn to.

Next in line: The JJ 300B

JJ300B.jpg

• Currently listed at 159 EURO
  • shipping 100 EURO?
  • each tube worked perfectly
  • excellent sound. Have not A/B'd it against other brands
  • have not had any come backs regarding quality or lifetime. They may still be playing somewhere
  • I would not hesitate to order them again

I had the pleasure of listening to a set of Audio Note 300b valves, and then, with some time-lapse (maybe a month), the amp came back with EH valves, and the difference was rather big. The very expensive AN valves were much preferred and better in all respects but keep in mind this was no A/B comparison, so probably not such a reliable data point.

Having said that, I am not convinced that the difference in SQ warrants the price difference in most systems. Also the AN valves malfunctioned.

Last edited:
$219.95 at Tube Depot. Shipping is probably $100.

Might be the tube to recommend. Russian manufacture.

The Original Genalex name was owned by the Marconi-Osram Valve Company with the Genalex in the name used in the U.S.A. The Gold Lion was a specially selected and factory tested version. The Sovtek Corporation has reintroduced these valves by producing a faithful reproduction of these classic valves made in Russia.

I didn't want to mention Takasuki , because of the price , but apparently it is rated as one of the best in the world .

Notice also , that most Chinese manufacturers have several tiers of tubes .

What about Elrog , Thomas Mayer's company ?

Ja ....

Eltog 300B.jpg

Those are both extremely expensive. Surely it would only make sense if the rest of your system can take advantage of it. And at the price, a slightly longer guarantee would help a little. One year just doesn't feel like I'll get the roi satisfaction required for the price. I'll bet the two year failure rate is still very low.

I wonder what the total cost of manufacturing comes to? I would guess (because I am too lazy to research 😉) that the equipment is quite expensive and due to low demand, the prices are exorbitant, which would keep demand low. Surely the raw materials can't be that expensive.

This probably is just considered a rare luxury goods item, hence the price. Too rich for me.

I'm considering learning how to blow glass over here...

I wonder who makes the AN 300B's ? They sure must be re-branded as AN .
The AN 4300 is an AudioNote designed 300b manufactured for AN by Psvane to AN spec. This is not a secret. I have had a pair for 4.5 years without an issue. Previous to this I had Psvane 300B-T Mark II Series Silver Bottle and the standard AN 300b. The 4300 is in a different league, not cheap, but worth every cent. It also comes with a 6 month warranty which is unusual.

My dutch tube buddies seem excited about the 300B XL

Ran the KR VV32B 20yrs ago, later replaced with KR 300B XLS. Been happiest with 1998 production WE300B. Have paused experimenting due to the high cost of alternatives in the last 10 years

Ran the KR VV32B 20yrs ago, later replaced with KR 300B XLS. Been happiest with 1998 production WE300B. Have paused experimenting due to the high cost of alternatives in the last 10 years
Having heard Jazzy’s WE300b’s on numerous occasions, I have to say they are probably the best I’ve heard. However they are financially difficult to replace. From the various reviews I’ve read, the latest iteration is not up to scratch with his ‘98’s, very special.

Back