Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Wanted: Circuit/schematic diagram for a Ferguson 218 UXL radio

mjdewet

I have this old Ferguson 218 UXL valve radio that was working, and would like to revive the old Ferguson again, hence my searching for a schematic diagram. Radio Museum pointed me a Ferguson 308 schematic, but the chassis layout is different to the 208UXL..

MW and 2 SW band, and NO mains transformer, it is powered off the mains DIRECT, so a LIVE chassis.

As far as I could determine the Ferguson 218UXL circuit is the same as the 238U circuit.

Please check the schematic that is the "Manuals" section and let us know if it is the one you are after.

There is also a thread about a repair here. Seems like it is a thread started by you in 2016.

Last edited:
I should imagine that all AC/DC radios of that period used pretty much the same basic circuits, high-voltage valves lumped in series to operate off 100v for the USA, and then by the use of a voltage dropping resistor or barrettor limit the 220v AC to 110v AC for the valve filaments .

By this time, the output valve (might be ULxxxx) and rectifier (UYxxxx) would no doubt require replacement as well as its associated electrolytic smoothing caps. Actually, probably all the caps, wax/paper and electrolytics and even the carbon resistors might have drifted off value somewhat.

Sounds like an interesting project, I would love to see a topic on the forum describing your progress with this.

-F_D

As far as I could determine the Ferguson 218UXL circuit is the same as the 238U circuit.

Please check the schematic that is the "Manuals" section and let us know if it is the one you are after.

There is also a thread about a repair here. Seems like it is a thread started by you in 2016.
Hi My Goggie, Jip that was me in 2016... Thanks for the feed back. I also got he schematic, now busy redraing the audio section in Kicad to make sure that all the wires got to the right (correct) places... The radio got put on the back burner, but now I'm ready to resurrect that old beast(ie)...

Hi My Goggie, Jip that was me in 2016... Thanks for the feed back. I also got he schematic, now busy redraing the audio section in Kicad to make sure that all the wires got to the right (correct) places... The radio got put on the back burner, but now I'm ready to resurrect that old beast(ie)...
As @Family_Dog suggested, why not start a new thread in Audio Projects starting with your 2016 posts and updating us all with your findings. There will be so much to share with this restoration of the Ferguson 218UXL !

Yep! Me thinks I'll start a new fred about an old wireless set, 'cause radios didn't exist then, only wireless.... If dating seems to be OK, that wireless predates me by a few years...

Something to the line of Old wireless resurrection by old guy...

Yep! Me thinks I'll start a new fred about an old wireless set, 'cause radios didn't exist then, only wireless.... If dating seems to be OK, that wireless predates me by a few years...

Something to the line of Old wireless resurrection by old guy...
Perfekte titel!

Maybe “ olde wireless resurrection by hairless old ballie” 😂

Back