Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Custom whisper quiet psu

DIY and custom designed projects
Update.
For the duel output change, I had to get a bigger chassis. I think it looks nice.
The internal output wires is flexible shielded cable. I would have used the same for the fly leads, but could not find a dc socket with a big enough opening at the back.
The fly leads are also shielded. Ground wrapped around the core, then everything wrapped in a foil like material. Should be well shielded.
I shipped the unit with 2 ferrite clip-ons if needed. I doubt it will be needed. Those bolts at the back may be a bit unsightly, but the 12v x 2 transformer is almost 2kg.

Shipped to @georgev

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-26 at 14.02.03_1d6faff8.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 08.09.26_de1cb40a.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 08.09.27_b7c00bfa.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 08.11.33_2b3b1cf1.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 08.29.29_f57d8e97.jpg

Take the time,build it nice... wrap it with tons of bubblewrap, fill the gaps with styrofoam "worms", tape it tight.
Label it is fragile. and hand it to a courier.
1701325988009.png

Take the time,build it nice... wrap it with tons of bubblewrap, fill the gaps with styrofoam "worms", tape it tight.
Label it is fragile. and hand it to a courier.
View attachment 3995
It is the mass of the transformer that broke that plate. Dont blame the courier and dont blame the packaging. That transformer is basically a low frequency swinging mass on that thin plastic plate.

Nicely done PCB...!

It is the mass of the transformer that broke that plate. Dont blame the courier and dont blame the packaging. That transformer is basically a low frequency swinging mass on that thin plastic plate.

Nicely done PCB...!
Thanks. Got them made by PCB Way via Botshop. Took ages, but that was a mishap when an employee left, and my order got lost. They made up for it, so no harm done. 10 PCB's of up to 100x100mm costs a few hundred rand. Will use them again. Lesson... Make sure to remember the drill layer for mounting screws in kicad. I forgot those.

With the Holidays coming to an end, I will take the psu back and reinforce that mounting with a G10 back plate, and screws though the bottom as well.
2 kilos is a lot, I agree, however, they must have dropped it. Even hard handling by hand will not cause that. The packaging was tight, but not so tight to make the bubble wrap useless. So another lesson learned.

Last edited:
Is the regulator just a (unheatsinked) 78xx?

👆This. Think about this.

TO-220 package Temp goes up 62degC per Watt of dissipation. DACs and streamers may want an Amp or more and you would have some 5V drop across the regulator. I'd fit an Aluminium front and back plate + some brackets and use those front and back plates as heat sinks.

Also, while I don't know how much current is required, if you want more than 1 Amp, a 78xx is not going to manage that on its own.

Last edited:
Back