Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Astronomy

Sarel.wagner

There are others on here, amateur astronomers. I used to be a member of ASSA Pretoria chapter, there are various around SA. Being kinda busy at work made me scale down the time dedicated to the hobby, only recently getting back to astronomy. One thing from my old setup that was always a mess was wiring everything. And now with all the developments in automation of the imaging, I am changing this into even more of a robot imaging telescop, and that ensures an explosion in wires.

Will do periodic updates on my progress, feel free to ask questions and comment.
A while ago, no cameras, this was visual.
IMG_2503.jpeg

Near Sutherland, starfield.
IMG_2502.jpeg

Groetnis

To properly make this setup do automated imaging, you need the mount to track the stars or your exposure time will be restricted to less than 30 seconds because of the earths rotation. The telescope and camera and something to control the camera for multiple exposures Like a computer with software. This adds even more wires šŸ˜– One issue is that the telescope moves with the mount, and this snags on the wires, ruining the imaging session.

Solving this can be done by mounting the computer on the mount or the camera. There is a weight limit to how much the mount can handle tho šŸ§ Here we go. Move the computer and power distribution and all the USB expansion onto the mount. The only cable from the mount is power supply. Everything else is self contained to the mount.

First part is the USB mounted and on top of that the computer. In this case an i5 Intel NUC. This is sitting on the dovetail bat where the telescopes are mounted, and that is on top of the tracking mount.
IMG_2500.jpeg

Groetnis

Nice setup you have there.
Tell us a bit more about the setup, is that the EQ6 pro mount?
What guide scope are you using?
Do you image with a DSLR or monochrome tec cooled ccd?
I sold my mount a few years back, only have the scope and cameras left, itching to get back into astrophotography.

Thank you. Yes OG EQ6 Pro mount. Two scopes, Celestron ED80 and a Ritcheyā€“ChrĆ©tien 8" or 200mm. Build the OG Cookbook 245 camera, now totally obsolete. Been using a Starshoot tracking camera and various DSLR cameras, from a Nikon d90 to the D810 Astro currently, but also a Lumix GH5 and Canon 7D II. The tracker is a recent addition and just now finished building an autofocuser.

Added the NUC I5 to run everything only yesterday. Well the NUC was configured a few weeks ago already but hat to get that all mounted. Busy modifying my portable battery box to add all the new things eating power.

Groetnis

I look at the stars from time to time. Have a Sky Watcher Reflector Scope with a 160mm mirror Diameter and 900mm Focal length. Not for short people. One year, in June, we went to the Highveld for a few days and tried our luck to see if we could spot Andromeda. We finally had a clear night and at 2:30 in the morning we got to see her on the horison for about 5 minutes. My older boet have done the Sutherland camp out before. I have not done so yet but plan to still.

my CCD is outdated by alot, 1MP. Can still keep the old SkyWatcher and upgrade the mounts to fit a tracking system but the idea of having that for the purpose of taking pictures while active tracking is on, is not my thing. I just want to look and see. Maybe when I am older, I will upgrade to a Dobsonian with bigger mirror and an active tracking system. That with whatever Camera is available at the time.

I always ask others who gaze, have you seen any unexplainable things in the sky?

Not nothing like that seen yet. The Arduino base auto focuser project Icompleted today, it's fully functional, just Bluetooth to sort out now. Can do manual control or via PC for the automation.

photo_2023-07-16 16.53.56.jpeg

I also do visual observing, both with the telescopes and binoculars. The automation is to not go stand in the cold during winter and get some sleep while the system collects the data. Stacking many images together give you a view of very faint things in the sky you can never see with naked eye.

Groetnis

Not nothing like that seen yet. The Arduino base auto focuser project Icompleted today, it's fully functional, just Bluetooth to sort out now. Can do manual control or via PC for the automation.

View attachment 508

I also do visual observing, both with the telescopes and binoculars. The automation is to not go stand in the cold during winter and get some sleep while the system collects the data. Stacking many images together give you a view of very faint things in the sky you can never see with naked eye.

Groetnis
I still use RegiStax to layer images. Well at least last time I used it some years back. Works a charm to make the 1MP camera look like is is 20MP or above.

I like the idea of adruino for this kind of thing. Watched a video of a guy that automated his Alexa as such.

Is there firmware available for your project or do you have to write it all from scratch?

Nope the system is available online, all firmware etc. I made a few boards so I can sell the rest I don't need. These were professionally made. The focuser is called myfocuserpro2, Arduino ASCOM Focuser Pro2 DIY.

Groetnis

Been to Sutherland a few times. And in winter. There is a fellow who caters for tourists and you stand there in the dark at 0 deg C while he points out the Magellan Clouds and other celestial bodies

The clarity of the sky is truly astonishing. There are also interesting places to visit and an excellent butcher who will prepare and pack your order in time for you to leave in the morning

A local who waits for tourists to get out their cameras and asks for a donation

1689520106924.png

What can this be...?

1689520152886.png

1689520294026.png

The beautiful Karroo

1689520389935.png

Man, some upgrades for my RC 8" are arriving today, they are custom made to correct some design issues on the RC. Now need to dissasemble the OTA and drill some holes and fix one error. I ordered another part co correct another issue but the design changed so much, this part does not fit. Will see about designing and printing one, if that is even feasible. It is an extension piece for a baffle.

Groetnis

What design issues are you trying to correct? The Ritchey-Chretien fixes the coma of a SCT?
You are go to have fun collimating the scope afterwards, hope you have a laser collimator

Yes got Laser and Chesire. The issue with this specific model is the focuser, and rest of imaging train is affixed to the mirror support :O So yea that is an issue as it keeps on changing the collimation as you slew across the sky. The central baffle is way to short so stray direct starlight and sky brightness can reach the imaging sensor.

The mod changes hoe the imaging train and focuser mounts and where it mounts too.

Groetnis

I still use RegiStax to layer images. Well at least last time I used it some years back. Works a charm to make the 1MP camera look like is is 20MP or above.

I like the idea of adruino for this kind of thing. Watched a video of a guy that automated his Alexa as such.

Is there firmware available for your project or do you have to write it all from scratch?

Pieter, have a look at PixInsight, excellent tool to align, stack and process images

Nowadays there are many new tools available to do stacking, a search will reveal many. Some YouTubers have done a bang up job to show them off. Worthwhile watching a few.

Groetnis

Yes got Laser and Chesire. The issue with this specific model is the focuser, and rest of imaging train is affixed to the mirror support :O So yea that is an issue as it keeps on changing the collimation as you slew across the sky. The central baffle is way to short so stray direct starlight and sky brightness can reach the imaging sensor.

The mod changes hoe the imaging train and focuser mounts and where it mounts too.

Groetnis

I am sure new tech popped up. been out of the loop for a while. Did you ever try APT (Astro Photography Tool) for DSLR imaging?

Yes indeed, nice software. Have now switched to NINA with PHD2, ASTAP and Stellarium. There are other minor software of course also.

Groetnis

NINA looks REALLY good, never seen the software, I am definitely out of the loop!
Do you know if Skywatcher still has a SA distributor?

One of the changes I am implementing is to move everything computer wise to on the mount. That means the Intel NUC running the software and controlling everything, the USB powered hub with 7 ports and an 8 port power distribution system. All cabling will be local on the mount with only a power cable running off the mount to my portable power box. Will post up some stuff on the powerboat at some point as well.

Only the post processing and stacking etc will be done on a big azz computer. The NUC will have WiFi connection to a NAS I am in the process of building. Thus will be using Trueness. The local 1TB spinny drive on the NUC is just to buffer the images as they are taken. It will auto backup to the NAS. Got mot things for the NAS Already.

Also I have a small 7" Touchscreen with small USB hub and keyboard build into a small portable case to use at the NUC right there with the scope in case the remote control goes azz end up.

BeltenSuspendersenBracesGroetnis

Back