Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Astronomy

According to the skywatcher.com website, there is no distributer in SA. And there are a few very dodgy dealers, use Hello Peter to sue them out.

WeesversigtigGroetnis

I am going to Fontainebleau next week. Will pop by the shop to see if they are legit. But yes, it looks like there is no Sky Watcher supplier here anymore.

The house in Fontainebleau was the importer and shop, I suspect they don't exist anymore. The Celestron Advanced VX is still available locally, a great mount with good tracking accuracy.

Focuser working and fully tested. Manual control via buttons, PC control via app and ASCOM driver installed. Now just waiting on the correct stepper motor and this can be mounted. It also runs off 12V. Just some wires to tidy up and shorten.

photo_2023-07-19 08.00.15.jpeg
photo_2023-07-19 08.00.27.jpeg

Groetnis

Powering everything out in the middle of nowhere.
A toolbox trolly was repurposed. 4 Lithium Phosphate cells for 12V in the bottom and distribution on top.
photo_2023-07-19 12.42.20.jpegphoto_2023-07-19 12.42.23.jpeg

Powerpole distribution, and others for convenience. Also PD USB C port and more USB charging ports with voltage monitoring on the front. There is an Aux Wh and Ah monitor inside as well.
photo_2023-07-19 12.42.17.jpegphoto_2023-07-19 12.42.13.jpeg

Groetnis

Now for the integration of the stepper to the focussed. This stepper is just a stand in for the time being. The correct one with gearbox is still on its way, had to import.

The coupling needs to be modified and shortened, a bracket contraption need be designed and 3D printed or cut and bent from ally sheet, dunno quite yet.
photo_2023-07-20 08.14.45.jpeg
InFokusGroetnis

This is yet another part to be done. The issue with this particular telescope is that the focuser is mounted to the Frame that holds the main mirror. Now when you slew across the sky, the focuser and imaging train like filters and camera hangs out quite a bit from the back and it then distorts the mirror collimation.

This contraption isolated the focuser from that mirror mounting frame.
photo_2023-07-20 09.31.19.jpeg

Focuser will now mount to this new flange.
photo_2023-07-20 09.31.15.jpeg

Groetnis

I have 2 telescopes, both need attention.
An Astromaster 70AZ : the part where the lens goes in has lost its threads, don't know where to get a replacement part.

And a 130EQ. The tripod legs/holder broke, so it stands 'skeef'

If anyone knows where I can get parts in the Centurion/Gauteng area, please advise.

I have 2 telescopes, both need attention.
An Astromaster 70AZ : the part where the lens goes in has lost its threads, don't know where to get a replacement part.

And a 130EQ. The tripod legs/holder broke, so it stands 'skeef'

If anyone knows where I can get parts in the Centurion/Gauteng area, please advise.
I have a small 4.5inch Orion reflector that came on an eq. I could never work that damn thing. I built a dobsonian base for it, really simple. A couple of pieces of wood swiveling on old CD's.

Much nicer experience for me, I actually use the telescope!

Been working on the power supply side of the system mostly, but sadly not a lot done yet. Did mount my power pole connectors and wire those up to the battery supply, so ready to run wires to distribution block when that arrives. Many other honey do list items to kill first ;)
Waiting on my main power distribution to arrive, I guess about another week or so, and also the correct stepper motor.

Powepole distribution (a fav of the Ham Radio operators) This too will be mounted on the dovetail bar close to the NUC and between the telescopes.
1690176010270.png

Groetnis

A mobile monitor and keyboard with touch screen interface for controlling the NUC if remote control is not working. Wood mounting board to be mounted in the lid of the Pelican case.

IMG_2512.jpeg

Groetnis

Will be getting delivered the extra USB 3.0 Powered Hub and required cables today. If time allows, trying to get this part cut and mounted today. Then I can complete this part of the build and have a functioning monitor and keyboard for use with the NUC.

Groetnis

Back