Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Shake rattle and roll

Or if a party is more the thing( puttin' the English version in because some dude in Liverpool decided this would sound better than a direct translation of 99 luftballon)

But in the meantime until destruction, scheduled for next Wednesday as I understand.

And this is a nice little breeze through the ears, especially from south to north.

Ingvar

John Peel pretending to play mandolin on Maggie May while the rest of the Faces play football around him on 'Top of the Pops' is an early childhood memory for me. Kudos

And tghe German original version is far superior

Ingvar
I agree, but ultimately it was pre-internet and German was not really a language we learnt at school in the UK. Therefore they got someone to write lyrics in English which worked. The Nena raised her hairy armpits on TOTP and a legend was born

Nina Hagen's first two albums (Nina Hagen and Unbehagen) are great as is this ( sadly you have to search for individual songs but 'Rote Liebe' works as an intro):

This also under the MC L1000 now

And this now, full record, perhaps we should be done with what blows into my north ear and out the south without any obstruction now?

Ingvar

Warren Zevon was great, I would also suggest Vic Chestnutt as another Americana hero who was most underrated during his life:.

Ingvar, I'll have to post some more NDW later, but right now I have to uber
just out of curiosity, are You going to drive an Uber De tomaso Pantera GR4 with someone in a hurry to the airport or are You waiting for an Uber Toyota Prius
which will take You to the shop to buy some more cape red?

Ingvar

You seem to have fancy Ubers over there, generally it's a Toyota or a Kia over here, full petrol (we don't really do electricity over here), it was to get home from the pub after a couple of beers - I stopped walking back under pressure after getting mugged (two junkies jumped me and threw me down the driveway of the neighbouring block while I was returning from McDs with an ice cream, no problems other than lost phone and a few bruises, heck, life happens and it was not whilst walking back from the pub either).

I don't drive either, never have, never will (passed my driving test though for the he'll of it and then went back to walking)

Last edited:
I don't drive either
I stopped driving (almost) one night some yers ago when I was stopped on hot a summer night passing a speed control doing 220 km/h where the limit was 110 km/h,
today I walk from work to the pub and from there to home so no driving required, when transport by car is essential my wife drives, she´s only got one speeding ticket.

Ingvar

So when You use that kind of cartridge which shakes two squash raquets sized for mosquito kids in a magnetig gap smaller than Donald Trumps conscience that will generate a very low voltage, You need to raise that somehow, can be an active device (prepre amplifier) or a passive thingy, a step up transformer.

As I, for some forgotten reason, gave away my Fidelity Research FRT-3 I only have one transformer, the Jörgen Schou for the Ortofon SL-15 and the 1 ohm load of that is a bit to hard for the MC-L1000, making it a little bit to "lean", works very good in the Ortofon MCA-76 active step up but there is an added sound, You can hear that it is "amplified" not so with the transformer, this means that the hunt now is on for an Ortofon MC-30 or Fidelity Research FRT-4, both with a decent impedance switch range, the FR also has three switchable inputs which would be good as I can connect more than one tonearm.

Any other good suggestions/alternatives?

Ingvar

So when You use that kind of cartridge which shakes two squash raquets sized for mosquito kids in a magnetig gap smaller than Donald Trumps conscience that will generate a very low voltage, You need to raise that somehow, can be an active device (prepre amplifier) or a passive thingy, a step up transformer.

As I, for some forgotten reason, gave away my Fidelity Research FRT-3 I only have one transformer, the Jörgen Schou for the Ortofon SL-15 and the 1 ohm load of that is a bit to hard for the MC-L1000, making it a little bit to "lean", works very good in the Ortofon MCA-76 active step up but there is an added sound, You can hear that it is "amplified" not so with the transformer, this means that the hunt now is on for an Ortofon MC-30 or Fidelity Research FRT-4, both with a decent impedance switch range, the FR also has three switchable inputs which would be good as I can connect more than one tonearm.

Any other good suggestions/alternatives?

Ing
T30? Don't think there was an MC 30 transformer I'll send you one. Can you PM the address?

Back