Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Show your system

Very nice. I saw those sound panels on takealot or somewhere not sure. Do you mind sharing where you got them from and how they are performing?

In terms of performance, probably the most significant change in rand/change ratio. I should have actually done this as a very first step. Live and learn.

IMG_20230727_102235.jpg

My Main system, logically divided into HT and stereo with the sublime pre-amp. This has taken over 10 years to get here, only pieces of kit bought new are the ChromeCast, projector and DAC. Everything else cobbled together from second hand sales and upgrades. Some more room treatment is needed.

Speakers:
  • B&W 802N mains
  • B&W HT1M centre
  • B&W DS7 * 4 for sides and rears.
  • B&W ASW CDM Sub
Pre Amps:
  • Marantz AV7005 for HT
  • Classe CP60 for stereo - now my favourite piece of hifi kit
Power Amps:
  • Proceed HPA3 driving the fronts and centre
  • DIY stereo amp, which I think I bought from Jamster, driving the sides
  • Parasound NCA-1000A, driving the rears
DAC:
  • Denafrips Ares II
Sources:
  • Google Chomecast with Google TV for streaming TV
  • Marantz UD5005, when it actually works
  • iFi Streamer
  • Rega Planer 3
Projector:
  • Optoma HD26 projecting straight onto the wall.

The systems in the bar, bedroom, study and garage are nothing to write home about, and quite frankly embarrassing to admit to. A mixture of B&W and Dali speakers and old equipment moved out of the main system, or on long term loan from mates.

@Stu_Mack Nice! Well done on achieving your set targets. Those 802’ are still the bees knees.

They do like space behind/around them, at least 1-1.5mtrs, they excel with meaty amps and love ML’s and Classe’s. Try a valve pre, there might be a surprise for you there?

Also, spikes work- try and obtain the original B&W spikes, raise their rears slightly so that the tweeter points towards your ears (use a laser light), will smooth the 2.5kHz x-over dip. If setup properly, they are still wonderful speakers.

The most neutral speaker cables (bugger the cable naysayers) that works well with them - van den Hul Revelations ( they are bulky!) and the old Monster M-Series 2.4 biwire cables, if you can find either.

The biggest enjoyment and benefit I got out of them was separating the low bass, below/around 80Hz out with multiple subs and driving the speakers above 80Hz with a ML 431. It was all actively crossed over.

Good luck and long may you enjoy this continuing journey to get he best out of your system building.

View attachment 991

My Main system, logically divided into HT and stereo with the sublime pre-amp. This has taken over 10 years to get here, only pieces of kit bought new are the ChromeCast, projector and DAC. Everything else cobbled together from second hand sales and upgrades. Some more room treatment is needed.

Speakers:
  • B&W 802N mains
  • B&W HT1M centre
  • B&W DS7 * 4 for sides and rears.
  • B&W ASW CDM Sub
Pre Amps:
  • Marantz AV7005 for HT
  • Classe CP60 for stereo - now my favourite piece of hifi kit
Power Amps:
  • Proceed HPA3 driving the fronts and centre
  • DIY stereo amp, which I think I bought from Jamster, driving the sides
  • Parasound NCA-1000A, driving the rears
DAC:
  • Denafrips Ares II
Sources:
  • Google Chomecast with Google TV for streaming TV
  • Marantz UD5005, when it actually works
  • iFi Streamer
  • Rega Planer 3
Projector:
  • Optoma HD26 projecting straight onto the wall.

The systems in the bar, bedroom, study and garage are nothing to write home about, and quite frankly embarrassing to admit to. A mixture of B&W and Dali speakers and old equipment moved out of the main system, or on long term loan from mates.
Awesome collection of equipment! But, you're doing it all a great disservice by stacking them/cramming them into a space meant for 2 components... :(

Awesome collection of equipment! But, you're doing it all a great disservice by stacking them/cramming them into a space meant for 2 components... :(
Thank you, not enough space the unfortunate consequence of been able to afford audio equipment, but not been able to afford a dedicated audio room. Such is life

Back