Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Restoration Vintage 70s Yamaha restore, CR2040, YP-D10 and NS1000M

Restoration projects
Could you send the dimensions of that mid tweeters grill. I have a pair of buggered NS something or other with similar grills.

Once there was some veneer in the middle, now just epoxy. This will have to be re-veneered....
1693656779108.png

Groetnis

Reactions: HB.
I am using a 3rd way to brig em back to life, fix what needs a fixing, restore to original what needs restorin to get it to look and more importantly function like what it was intended to function like. Will this be like new, nope. Does that matter more than resurrecting these never to be produced again, nope. We do not have any new units to compare the voicing to, nor do I want to replace stuff just to replace stuff for the sake of. I can always go in and replace caps later, no biggie. Another failure mode is to just overpower the speaker, or clipping the Amp, both a sure way to blow up the tweeters as they are the least able to cope with that. In a way I am lucky, the cabinets survived mostly intact. Every joint appears original and not molested, all the glue joints appear tight on first inspection. Most of the damage to the cabinets appear on the veneer and just cosmetic, to be rectified. It will go back to Ash and Ebony finish. It is a pity those mid drivers grills are lost.

At some point all the insides will be removed and a good and proper inspection done, any issues will be repaired. In this case there are no signs the wood got wet, nor are there any signs of dry rot or any excessive loss of moisture. I will properly test the caps under load for capacitance, leakage, ESR etc, as I do have the means to do so. What fails this test will be replaced, what passes will stay. Yamaha designed and build these to a spec for the time, and they were out the park! These will be used with my other top of the line for the time CR-2040 receiver and YP-D10 TT. I have no desire to build new speakers or to modify and pimp these into better newer models, just resurrecting them from the dead. They are period correct for the rest of that system and indeed was sold as a system at the time.

It is a thick tacky black paint (on sanding, it feels like paint to the touch, strange) that was used on top of the wood and was underneath the red paint. The red was easy to remove, the black not so much. It will likely take a week or so to get the black goo removed, depending on my time available to attend to this. maybe a lot longer, depending on time available as there are many other projects, on top of the honey do list to boot....

1693664106112.png
Groetnis

Been pondering on the beryllium, how to clean them, since it’s a toxic meterial. So some research, do your own, this is not advice.

For it to be toxic, we need beryillium dust particle in the air to be breathed in. You may be sensative to this or not, see silicosis. The other way is from the soluble salts, if that is consumed and this is acute poisoning. Almost exclusively, this is a workplace issue. The recommended prevention is respirators where dust is a problem, and wiping down dusty surfaces with a wet rag.

The metal components does not produce dust by themselves. So wash down the domes for the drivers with say IPA or soapy water and then IPA should work a treat. Using a wet brush for tough contamination should help clean em right up.

Ok, now feeling a lot better, since I am not commercially cleaning these things on a daily basis. Do have a respirator and gloves, just in case.

VeiligeGroetnis

More sanding and prepwork on the NS1000Ms Slow going....
photo_2023-11-05 10.54.20.jpeg

We can see where the veneer was cut for the sticker position :sick: and glue everywhere to hold in the wrong tweeter, oh boy, and missing pieces of veneer
photo_2023-11-05 10.54.28.jpeg

SweetenSkuurGroetnis

So time to experiment is near. The second cabinet will be tackled and sanded down soon. It appears to be in a less bad state, but after sanding we will know. Lots of other cleanup to do, the tweeter openings is in a really sad state, very hard glue in the threaded holes, will likely have to drill smaller and then run a tap in there.

The veneer will be stained again, but before I do that, time to experiment with some sanding dust and glue and see how they take the stain. Otherwise recover some from the very bad bottom and use that for repairs, time will tell.

Groetnis

Yay, fresh new to me used tweeters arrived today 😁✅✅ both tested 💯

Now I am happy to get the resurrection done!

Groetnis

No time atm, nada nothing. The company was taken over by a multinational, and there are lots of admin and other things to be done. It is kinda chaotic since November last.

Groetnis

Back