Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• You will find a new "Visual" section in the Classifieds. Sell your camera and visual related equipment here!

Show your system

Something showed unexpectedly, and I couldn't resist. You know you are in the sweet spot when the family starts to take pictures, share stories and are excited about a hifi component. My family share my love for music but only supports my interest in sound equipment. However, LV brings an unexpected excitement whenever it is discussed or a set enters our home.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 17.01.59.jpeg

One of three (main, TV/bar/feeling like a change, bedroom) this is the main. 2 turntables (MC and MM), Amp, music computer for that kind of thing, tape deck, minidisc, CD player and DAC, speakers and lovely stand by LaGrange.

17078501903123343154409669212944.jpg

Since there seems to be much love. Turntables are Garrard 301 (aka Diana for her voluptousnous and being a Swindon lady) who has both a great body by @fydlsys and an arm of note by the same Master of turntables she has a Hana EH at the moment which sounds great to my ears. The MC turntable is a MicroSeiki DD33 which has history regarding the connections on the old forum (that was a mission) now fitted with an Ortofon Vivo Blue I think either way an MC cart. The Amp is a Schalk Havenga dream - 150 Exclame with two phono inputs, I had the pleasure of testing the prototype and then the full on version. The DAC and CD player are from Achim, top quality Rega gear. The tape deck is Nakamichi from fdlysys back in the day and still sounds great. The minidisc player, sorry, I cannot remember. The computer, Chrisc and it Is top as a music server.

Given the new family I've inherited and the limited opportunity to listen to music, while at a store in Nanuet New York where they sell Amazon returns for $12 on Sat , $10 sun , $8 mon and so in until Friday is $1 , I came across these on a Saturday, bought them and actually like the way they sound and how comfortable they are. They're for gaming /esports and I'm surprised at how much effort has gone into making these sound pretty decent and sit comfortably.
They're obviously not $600 Focals but they're not bad , even if I'd paid the $88 to $110 retail price they're not bad but are amazing for the $12 I paid.
It comes with a detachable mic and a USB dac.
They're not pretty though , but , as per the daily reminder in the mirror , neither am I anymore as the years go by.

Attachments

• 20240305_215018.jpg
    20240305_215018.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240305_215029.jpg
    20240305_215029.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240305_220625.jpg
    20240305_220625.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240305_220635.jpg
    20240305_220635.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 16
I only got to know about Mola Mola recently. I have not had an opportunity to listen to them yet. E-piphany sang a lot of praises for them. How’s your experience so far?
I really like it.
The Tambaqui DAC is extremely detailed with a very low noise floor. You hear everything that is on the recording.

This is where I am in my audio journey at the moment:
Vivid Audio Giya G2
Devialet 440PRO
2023 Mac Mini M2 as Roon server

View attachment 378
Mac Mini M2 as Roon Server - WOW!!! I hope that is not all the M2 does duty for. It's a powerhouse of a Mini. I run ROCK on a NUCi7 and it handles a very large 8TB file system without any issues or delays. What size library are you managing on the M2? Or are you storing on a NAS?

Back