Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Old guys in Stetsons are like vermin, a PITA to get rid of.

So, in an attempt to do this again, retreading my erratic ramblings of the original thread at another place, tell me when You have had enough, first some refreshment required and this appeared last week at our lokal shop.

IMG_E2772.JPG

A good bottle to share with a friend, or a wife, and then listen to this record that we still need to find out a bit of back history about.

What kind of car did Benny when he: Recorded by Chris Strachwitz on portable equipment in Houston, Texas, on December 18, 1967.

I think it was a Chevy Nomad 57, red and white, but we don´t know, mailed Arhoolie records many years ago to get this information but still no reply,
as Arhoolie now is under the Smithsonian flag perhaps a new request for informatoion could bear fruit, (I mean we need to know what kind of car was used to bring the portable equipment to record this:

R-8841404-1469896161-2382.jpg

Ingvar

So, as You didn´t stop me from opening this old can of worms I´ll keep on,
now not going back to Highway 61 revisited but instead revisiting the year of 1971, as Johan @Agaton Sax, pointed out at the old place one of the most important years in the history of music, starting point for me will be here:

Ingvar

I know this is about music but I can't resist this ad from the mid 70s. I just finished David Hepworth's brilliant "Uncommon People. The rise and fall of the Rock Star" . In this photo the Rod certainly exudes that quality and the speakers,man the speakers!

pc279 by jdza, on Flickr

If they had marketed them as Rodspeakers in Sweden I would have bought a pair.

Released on Janyary 11 1971 this is a record I hope has it´s place in all record shelves here.

Ingvar

All this talk about blues/rock/country/American cosmic music just made me go back to a classic of blues rock by the late great Tony McPhee:

Groundhogs - Split (or pick any of their albums)

image.jpg

Cherry Reeeed, Cherry reeeed…….punk in all but marketing

To end this short 1971 trip I´ll stop with a very important record released in October, the same year that Bob Dylan anonymously sneaked in and played the harmonica behind John Prine at one of his first New York gigs.

Including songs that became instant classics and are still covered by many others, like:

Ingvar

In some strange way that last 1971 post led me in to John Prine, don´t know how, but let´s stick there for a while then.

In 72 he released his second album, Diamonds in the rough, his least known and not very well received at the time as it went into Bluegrass sound/county but still good today, the songs and lyrics are pure JP quality, just with a bluegrass tint.

Ingvar

Back