Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Old guys in Stetsons are like vermin, a PITA to get rid of.

Then there is a five year wait, sitting tearful and shuddering in a dark corner, until the next record appears, Bruised Orange, (that was when I first discovered John Prine, didn´t know about him until then, but don´t tell anyone!)

A good place to discover him thou, perhaps his best album/best songs, at leas a few of them (it´s hard to say what´s best with an artist where the "Best of" record would be an 9 full length LP box)

A bit strange, this is co-written by JP and Phil Spector?

Ingvar

1979 brings Pink Cadillac, a record initially not that well received in the USA as Americans don´t understand irony and Saigon, by the right wing few that understood the lyrics was regarded as unamerican and unpatriotic, but yet another very good record.

Here he also does a cover, Rowland Salleys, killing the blues, wise even when choosing a song to cover.

And the song that got all the flack, both from right and left wing illitterates. (produced by SAm Phillips)

Ingvar

Then, suddenly, no warning, the Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings album appears in 1995, I think this is as good, or perhaps better than, Bruised Orange.

Some magic songs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gce3T2ZnC4&list=OLAK5uy_mS2teWMfAmPkHkxIsze8X-XRl6gl_tRjk&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7SlwpYnew&list=OLAK5uy_mS2teWMfAmPkHkxIsze8X-XRl6gl_tRjk&index=10

And, without warning as I didn´t read the cover text before listening, Marianne Faithfull appears, almost lethal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Ai52KJLd8&list=OLAK5uy_mS2teWMfAmPkHkxIsze8X-XRl6gl_tRjk&index=11
'
Ingvar

So, been pestering You all Tuesday with JP, should be done by now You would think. Nah.

This we need to go over, again and again, until You know what car he drives int the prologue/story before the live version of bruised orange.

It is a proper big displacement, long throw, naturally aspirated V8 engine powering the thing, make and basic model name will render the friend delivering that lifelong glory.

Ingvar

Prine a staple in my life. Never saw him live but was blessed to meet Bonnie Raitt via my work and see the amazing late Nanci Griffith live. The interview with Sturgill just nails a lot of the HISTORY. Thx for your thread.

John Prine. somehow this Philistine never heard of him and pulling him up on Tidal I thought "Ho Hum, Another Country warbler " but no. Simple honest music with lyrics sharp as can be.

Your Lou Reed makes me picture a scene that may or not be accurate:

After the demise of the Velvets ,Lou Reed's career was going nowhere. His heroin addiction was bad and nobody but nobody came to his shows or listened to his music.So he moved back into the suburbs with Mom and Dad . Dad had a large auditing firm and Lou was not a bad accountant. But he wanted his first love- music. So imagine an almost empty hall after a show and the stage manager stops Reed: "Hey Lou. There's a Fan here to see you from England ". And Reed goes "I have a Fan ? " So in marches this scrawny, chain smoking kid with one gammy eye, who may or may not be wearing a dress and may or not be wearing make up. "Hi" the kid said " I am David Bowie " Lou, being American, never heard of this little sh!t and when the scrawny one said "I want to produce your next album" Reed did not know if he should belt the thin white Duke or burst into tears.

But he did. Produce the next one I mean. And it was and is a doozy. It was one of the greatest: Transformer

Last edited:
Your Lou Reed makes me picture a scene that may or not be accurate:
Mostly right Johan, You forgot that DB entered from the left, he didn´t wear a dress but certainly make-up, a god Saville Row suit and a saxophone, also brought Mick Ronson.

He didn´t only create Lou Reeds future career on that record, also formed his own, and it is a good record.IMG_E2789.JPG

Ingvar

1975 brought two records, one of the I won´t mention, Metal Machine Music, as I don´t understand it, as so much else, but also one really good record,
this also somewhat forgotten, can´t understand why.

Ingvar

Back