Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Old guys in Stetsons are like vermin, a PITA to get rid of.

Go find your copy of Velvet Underground Live 1969 and open up, on the right side of the gatefold You find this:

IMG_E2796.JPG

He later wrote/played a lot of own good music, like this

He also knew about the ladies making big music.

Ingvar

Elliot Murphy was, at a time, called the new Springsteen, this was before Born to Run and the skyrocketing of Springsteens/E street band, but they were also friends and colaborated once in a while, this is Elliot Murphy together with his son Gaspard live in Paris 2010.

Ingvar

So, Robbie Bobertson passed away yesterday, one of the great, no clear record of how much he created together with Levon Helm and how much on his own
but this has no other credits than RR as far as I have found.

Ingvar
I became aware of Robbie Robertson from his solo album. We listened a lot to Dylan in the 1980's and I discovered the "Basement Tapes" which became my favourite Dylan. Later on I saw "The Last Waltz" and noted the "The Band's" central role in Americana. I picked up a tattered copy of the double album "Rock of the Ages" and wondered why they chose such a title for thei release. That I listened to a lot and became a fan. Anyway, I was brought up on British Blues with Mick Taylor and John Mayal showing the way. Then I didn't like that Telecaster screeching, and preferred Les Paul saturated lead guitar. Now I prefer listening to The Band, rather than any Dylan. And hollow body guitar lead sound's better to my ear than Les Pauls. (I might feel different 5 minutes from now.)

So perhaps time for some Swedish music here?

This guy is a few months younger than our son, this was my first contact with his music, one week before we went to see him live in Falkenberg, a small town 80 km south of here.

At least two records are relaeased on Norman Deep Blues, French company, "And the Great unknown" part 1 and part 2, should be available internationally, here You can find this (on part 2):

Ingvar

So the southern men/guys/boys then, some of them understood.

Formed in 1996 by Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley, released 3 records on the Soul Dump label, Gangstabilly, Pizza Deliverance and Southern Rock Opera, the two first I never listened to, the third that is sort of a story around Lynyrd Skynyrd, we will look at later.

Those were very politicaly active boys and pointed on the racism, injustice and police violence in their part of America, the 2003 record Decoration Day on New West Records points the way forward.

Ingvar

Record No.5, The Dirty South, on New West is good, further out in the rock´n roll lane but some good lyrics, and do listen to the lyrics when it comes to Drive By Truckers, the music is just a carrier for them.

Ingvar

The seventh album Brighter than Creations Dark, last obne one New West, also without Jason Isbell even thosu he didn´t leave the band officially until 2007
got very good critical acclaim as the earlier ones but this also hit good positions on charts internationally and sold decently well.

(Shonna Tuckers voice is one of those You only find in that part of the world)

Ingvar

Decay does never stop, this world is probably aproaching the end, at least as we know it, but this is still good and never stops either.

IMG_2827.JPG

Rust does never sleep, not even a short nap, all BMW and Mercedes owners knows that.

Still think this is the best that this old Canadian ever did.

Ingvar

When this was released, late 2020 I think, I was dissapointed that it was without the whole Nightsweats band but giving it a few listens this is one realy good album.

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

As I see it one of the best voices ever and a soul that leaves footprints in front of the speakers.

Ingvar

Back